Monday, December 31, 2012

Favorite Reads of 2012


In keeping with tradition (2011), I wanted to list my best reads for this year.  I was lucky enough to discover some great great book, and I'd love to share them with you!

My favorite reads (in no particular order):

Wonder (R.J. Palacio): 
I can't gush enough about this book.  I've already bought numerous copies for people I know and have lent mine out so much that it's started to wear and tear.  This book has so much heart and love, and Auggie is one of my favorite literary characters now.  I have a feeling this book is going to win the Newbury this year.


Tell the Wolves I'm Home (Carol Rifka Brunt):
I tried to read this book as slow as possible, because I didn't want it to end.  It's set in the 80s and narrated by a girl who reminded me a lot of myself when I was young.  The social times and topics were ones that concerned me growing up, and Brunt writes beautifully.  I cried numerous times during this novel and had to sit and quietly think about it for a long time when I finished.  I read it a few months ago, and it's still present in my mind.


What Happens Next (Colleen Clayton):
This is a book that is so much grounded in setting that you can't help but want to live in Syd's world (which I kind of do, because it takes place in the setting where I grew up!).  This is also an important book for teenagers to read because it deals with some tough issues that aren't always talked about.  It's a very powerful read, the writing is beautiful, and sid is one of the characters I've met in a long time.


Dare Me (Megan Abbott):
This is a bad girl book about cheerleaders gone very very bad!  I was drawn in by Abbot's dark, noir-like writing and the book moved at a fast pace that kept me turning the pages.  I wanted to find out what happened and Abbott didn't hold back.  It's a wild ride.


Infinite Sky (C.J. Flood):
This book is cheating a bit, because it's an ARC and you can't read it yet (but you can soon!).  This is Flood's first novel and everything about this book is gorgeous.  The world that Flood creates is so vivid and heartbreaking.  It's a stunning debut and a book that I know I'll read more than once.


The Fault in Our Stars (John Green):
Do I even need to explain why I picked this one?  Just go back to my past posts and watch me turn all fan-girl over John Green.  How to sum up this book...I cried, and then cried, and then cried some more.


Butter (Erin Jade Lange):
Oh goodness, BUTTER is just so great.  I had read the premise of the book over a year ago and instantly knew I wanted to read it.  You fall in love with the main character "Butter" right from the start and cheer for him the entire book.  My students love this book.


Cracked (K.M. Walton):
This book wowed me because of Walton's ability to show bullying from both sides...the victim and the bully, and you end up connecting to both of the characters.  This is another book that I push into the hands of my students and they all come back to me telling me how incredible it was.


I know there are books I've forgotten, but these are some of the ones that have stuck with me.  What about you?  What have some of your favorite reads of 2012 been?

4 comments:

Su Wilcox said...

Wonder keeps coming up on my Kindle ads, but after your glowing recommendation, I'll be adding it to my to-read list! These all sound great, thanks for writing about them!

Michael Offutt, Speculative Fiction Author said...

K.M. Walton's book has boy main characters! I own a copy in hardback :)

Also, Brent Taylor just barely posted a pic of "Tell the Wolves I'm Home" on his twitter feed. It's what he's reading all day until his New Year's Eve parties (he's like a literary agent intern).

Krispy said...

I absolutely LOVE Wonder. I don't dip into MG too often, but I'm glad I made room in my TBR for Wonder. It was so many kinds of great. :)

Looking forward to Infinite Skies (and I still have to read TFiOS)!

My favorite YA book this year was Code Name Verity, but I also loved The Raven Boys and Seraphina. My favorite book overall was the adult book The Song of Achilles!

Happy New Year!

Ashera barbara said...


I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his
Pengobatan Penyakit Kulit Herbal
Obat Infeksi Kulit
Cara Menghilangkan Flek Paru Paru