Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Week 19: The Next Big Thing


I was asked by fellow Lucky 13s member, Liz Coley, to participate in The Next Big Thing.  

The rules are simple...I talk about my WIP progress and then tag five (or a few more in my case) people who will talk about their WIP next week!  Sounds fun, right?

Let's get started, shall we?

What is the working title of your book?

BACK TO THE START

Where did the idea come from for the book?

The idea started from a short story that I wrote for my MFA program.  It was about 30 pages long and it pretty much wrote itself.  I was seriously a woman on fire when I was writing!  I workshopped it with my class, but I couldn't get the characters out of my head.  That's when I realized that this short story wasn't a short story at all, but a novel waiting to be told.
What genre does your book fall under?


Contemporary YA (my favorite!) with a few touches of magical realism

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I always have a hard time with questions like this, because I never have actors in my mind when I'm writing.  I kind of just "see" my characters.  Ugh!  Next question, please!

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Okay, I'm cheating here...I stink at the one sentence elevator pitch.  How about a few more?

When Rhylee’s sister goes missing, Rhylee sees the loss as a way to step outside of her old life-one overshadowed by her big sister- and begin anew.  A life, she tells herself, she’s living to keep her sister’s memory alive.  But as she starts to change, Rhylee questions whether she wants to remember her sister or become her.   

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I'm represented by John Rudolph at Dystel and Goderich.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It took about a year to have a pretty strong first draft.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Nova Ren Suma's IMAGINARY GIRLS
Kat Rosenfield's AMELIA ANNE IS DEAD AND GONE
John Green's LOOKING FOR ALASKA
Aryn Kyle's THE GOD OF ANIMALS

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

I have a certain setlist of songs that I write to when working on this book.  They are my biggest inspiration right now:
Coldplay "Back to the Start"
Mumford and Sons "Below My Feet"
Snow Patrol  "Chasing Cars"
Snow Patrol  "Run"
The Swell Season  "In These Arms"

I have these five songs on a playlist and just run it over and over again while I write.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

The book starts with the first line, "The first time I betrayed my sister was two weeks before she disappeared."

I can't wait to share this book with all of you; I'm very much in love with it (fingers crossed it gets sold!). 

You can read all about Liz Coley's WIP here and make sure to visit the following blogs next Wednesday to see what other people are working on:
Amber June
Beth Pond
Rose

3 comments:

Beth said...

Thanks for the tag.

Liz Coley said...

Your new work sounds very cool!

Kristan Hoffman said...

Ooo, sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)