Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm one of the 55%....are you?

This study has been the talk among YA authors/readers these last few days.

It states that, "More than half the consumers of books classified for young adults aren’t all that young. According to a new study, fully 55% of buyers of works that publishers designate for kids aged 12 to 17 -- known as YA books -- are 18 or older, with the largest segment aged 30 to 44, a group that alone accounted for 28% of YA sales."

And when these people were asked who they were purchasing books for, 78% said they were buying the books for themselves.

I'm one of the 55% and 78% (although after I read my YA books, I put them in my classroom library).
What about you?  I'd love to hear what age group my readers fall into.  Care to take a quick survey?  

Thanks...you rock!

2 comments:

Jaime Morrow said...

I'm 34 years of age, and I'm proud to say that I read mostly YA. (And apparently like to get all rhyme-y too:P)

Faith E. Hough said...

Interesting! And I find it very encouraging, too. No wonder YA has taken off!