Monday, April 2, 2012

Goofs in The Hunger Games

Every Monday morning, my English department meets before school to discuss any department issues. Today one of us said something about The Hunger Games and one of the teachers goes, "Is this how it's going to be? For the rest of the year we're going to talk about The Hunger Games?" The answer from the rest of us was a big, fat "yes!"

So this is how it is going to be...I'm still going to talk about The Hunger Games because I have a dorky little thing I do. I'm addicted to IMDB, and on each movie's page, they list the "goofs" or inconsitencies that are found in the movie. Of course, I had to look up The Hunger Games.

Here's IMDB's listing of goofs during the movie...

When Prim is going to her group of 12-year olds, the pin is on her left, but when she is called as tribute, it is on her right.

The countdown while the Tributes are waiting for the Hunger Games to start is actually longer than 60 seconds from the moment they begin counting down from 60 to the time they reach 0.

When the crowd at the District 12 reaping gives Katniss the three-fingered salute, they use their left hands. During the Games, when she salutes the people of District 11 and they return it, they use their right hands.

When Peeta and Katniss are investigating the sounds (that turn out to be hounds), in one shot, Katniss has her bow drawn. In the following shot, she proceeds to draw her already drawn bow.

During the chariot scene, the crowd throws flowers to the tributes. Katniss is never seen catching a flower, but when the chariots reach the end of the parade grounds, she is holding a rose.

During the Reaping, when Katniss yells, "I VOLUNTEER!" her hair is messed up and ruffled, however, when she states "I volunteer as tribute," her hair is combed again.

When Katniss begins cutting down the Tracker Jacker nest with her knife, she uses the blade side. In the next cut, the knife has flipped around and she's sawing with the serrated edge.

When Katniss is turning around to show her fire dress, you can see her hair (bun) comes apart. But in the next scene her hair is nicely tucked in.

Whene Katness is walking up for the reaping she has a bruise on her neck in next shot it's gone.

They only show seven tributes in the beginning after the first bloodbath at the Cornucopia.

Continuity during the finale... Cato has Peeta in a choke-hold, and blood on his hands. Going back and forth from the duo to Katniss, the blood comes and goes.

Continuity... No cannon fire for Rue or Marvel although Katniss had evidently regained her hearing by this time since she listened to Rue's final words.

Kind of fun to look at, right?

I noticed the canons because they only went off for a few tributes, but that was it for me. Did you catch any of these?

13 comments:

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I definitely noticed the cannons coming and going, because I was waiting for it, and then a couple of times it never came. It made me totally confused.

Rachel said...

I definitely noticed Katniss' hair when she spun around in her Fire dress. My thought was - No way could someone spin that much and STILL have perfect hair. I got excited when her hair was a little out of place but then...darn editing lol.

And so noted on the cannons, too...

I am personally hoping that on the DVD there are a LOT of extra/deleted scenes. (I feel like some stuff was cut - I had issues w/this movie despite enjoying it and loving the books)

Some Screaming Fangirl said...

My friend is about to see the HG again (it's her fourth time!) today, and she's says she's going to try to find them. Both of us already noticed the cannons and rose. Good eye!

NiaRaie said...

Awesome. I love catching goofs, usually in TV shows, but I didn't know the IMDB lists those. I'm going to definitely check that out. (I'll probably spend hours there). So cool, thanks.

Kristan Hoffman said...

I noticed they didn't do all the cannons, but I think that was purposeful, as opposed to some of these things which were definitely goofs.

I don't think I watched closely enough to see anything else egregious... but maybe when I go see it a second or third time (wink wink) I'll find something!

Sarah Pearson said...

Yep, just the cannons for me too!

Sage said...

I usually need to see something a couple times before I start nitpicking continuity errors.

It seems like Katniss had a lot of hair trouble ;)

Some Screaming Fangirl said...

Hey, me again. My friend saw it and noticed all the mistakes (she had a paper with her, haha). She also pointed out another one if you want to add it - they only show seven tributes in the beginning after the first bloodbath at the Cornucopia.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Wow-- that's a lot! I only caught a couple. I don't know why, but it sure makes me happy when I catch those goofs! I like watching at home, because then I can rewind and show everyone else. :)

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss rachel! i didnt see the movie yet. my brothers gonna take me maybe this week cause it spring break. i read all the books so for sure im gonna be watching for those goofs.
...hugs from lenny

Jessica Therrien said...

SOOO many! Wow.

Anonymous said...

For the Cannon's, I believe that in the book they explained that they only go off when a tribute is out of the way. As Katniss is still sitting there with rue they didn't set it off. Anyone else agree?

Anonymous said...

The book said the tributes are PICKED UP only after a live tribute has left the area, not the cannon doesn't fire only after a live tribute has left the area. The cannon will still fire, but the dead tribute won't be picked up.