Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cover Thoughts

I've talked about my cover a bit, because I've been thinking about it a lot these last few weeks. While marketing said I won't get to see my cover for another six months, I had to fill out a lot of questions about the cover. It was a pretty neat thing to do.

I had to answer questions about important locations in the book (the basketball court, the prep school itself and a swimming pool at nighttime- my main character, Kate, swims laps at night), clothes I thought the characters would wear (school uniforms- navy skirts or pants, white collared shirts), and important colors (maroon and yellow- Beacon Prep's school colors). I described the tone of the book and other things I thought might be important.

I also had to include pictures of actors and actresses that I thought looked like my main characters. I went to imdb for that and attached the following files.

I pulled pictures of Ellen Page and Willa Holland for Kate...



And Chord Overstreet and Chad Michael Murray (don't laugh...I was totally channeling him in One Tree Hill the whole time I was writing) for Jack.



This is what I wrote to the art department when trying to describe my thoughts/mood of the cover:


"When I envision the cover I see either a silhouette of Kate swimming in a swimming pool at night (perhaps from above, so the whole cover is the pool and her silhouette is on the bottom) or Kate floating on her back in a pool at night maybe with her hair spread out around her. Again, I see the whole cover the pool and a small part the main character of Kate. I think this would evoke the idea of solitude or feeling alone, especially at night.

The other image that comes to mind is an empty basketball court and either Kate sitting alone in her school uniform on the edge of a bleacher or lying on the floor of the court (again, the whole court is most of the cover) like the cover I’ve attached from Out of Reach. This would also evoke that idea/mode of being alone or solitude. She doesn’t play basketball, but she’s surrounded by it."

I'm so nervous and so excited to see my cover! I don't know if I can handle the waiting!

8 comments:

Christopher S. Ledbetter said...

Sounds exciting. I hope to be walking that path someday.

Matthew MacNish said...

Oh man. Must be equal parts excitement and nerves.

Amanda said...

That's a long time to wait! How nerve wracking!
I hope when you finally get to see it, it's everything your hoping for and more!!! =)

Kathryn said...

So cool! I love how they want your input, but I admit, I'd be at a loss for any ideas for my own writing. It's great to read yours, though! Can't wait to see it! :)

Becca Christiansen said...

This is so interesting. I have very specific covers in mind for some of my WIPs, but others I would be totally happy to leave it all up to a cover artist. I can't wait to see what yours is like!

Mindy McGinnis said...

Crap. I have no idea what my characters look like. If I'm asked this I'll have to send them the bathroom stick characters with the skirt on the girl and the pants on the boy.

Rachel Morgan said...

That must have been so much fun to put all your ideas and concepts together and send them off. And hopefully what you get back will be even better than anything you could have imagined!

xx Rachel

Kristan Hoffman said...

I love your cover ideas and hope they get consideration! Also, haha, Ellen Page ftw. I think she's like the YA/indie darling. I've definitely pictured her for my heroines on occasion.