Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Author Bio...Yikes!


I need to submit my author bio to Medallion. It will go in my book and on their website.

I thought this would be easy, but it's hard! Real hard!

I'm trying to walk the fine line between funny and serious. I don't want it to be too plain old vanilla, but I don't want people to think I'm all crazy town.

I thought that since I've shared so much of my writing/the publishing process with you, I'd show you a draft of my bio.

What do you think? Be 100% honest (even if that means sending out annoymous comment)...I'd love to know what you think. Especially if it sounds like to much "funny" or "quirky."

Rachele Alpine is a lover of sushi, fake mustaches, and Michael Jackson. One of her first jobs was at a library, but it didn’t last long, because all she did was hide up in the third floor stacks and read. Now she’s a little more careful about when and where she indulges her reading habit. She’s a high school English teacher by day and writer by night. The words don’t come easily unless she has a big cup of coffee, a full bag of gummy peaches and the cutest dog in the world, Radley, sleeping by her side. Rachele lives with her husband in Cleveland, Ohio, but dreams of one day moving to Boston, the city she fell in love with while going to graduate school there. You can find her thoughts about pretty much everything at www.freckle-head.com.

10 comments:

KSCollier said...

I love it. I agree writing the bio is the hardest thing. I'm from the 4th campaign and dropping by to let you know you've been selected to receive the Sunshine Award. Stop on by and collect it at www.kscollier1.blogspot.com. It's a great way for us to get to know one another. When you're done, pay it forward.

Matthew MacNish said...

I wouldn't worry about this being too funny. I mean it has some nice, quirky moments, but it's really not that out there.

SA Larsenッ said...

I really enjoyed this! An author bio is for insight into the writer. You've accomplished that. I know you better already!!

Roxie said...

It's memorable and easy to relate to. I think it's great.

Kristan Hoffman said...

I think that bio walks the line really well! It's cute but still gets the professional writer/book lover vibe across.

Nits:
- Not sure you need "she's a little more... reading habit."
- Not sure you need "The words don’t come easily unless ... by her side."
- Not sure you need "but dreams of one day ... graduate school there."

So something like...

Rachele Alpine is a lover of sushi, fake mustaches, and Michael Jackson. One of her first jobs was at a library, but it didn’t last long, because all she did was hide up in the third floor stacks and read. Now she’s a high school English teacher by day and writer by night. Rachele lives in Cleveland, Ohio, with her husband and Radley, the cutest dog in the world. You can find her thoughts about pretty much everything at www.freckle-head.com.

I dunno, maybe that's too pared down? But just food for thought.

allison said...

I like yours a lot - I think it's just the right mix of funny and informative. Then again, I think Kristan Hoffman's version is good too, if yours turns out to be too long. The sentences she took out doesn't make the bio lose any of your personality.

Rachel said...

I like it, Rachele (hi from another Rachel :-)) but I think it is a little too long. I'd par it down to this:

Rachele Alpine is a lover of sushi, fake mustaches, and Michael Jackson. One of her first jobs was at a library, but it didn’t last long, because all she did was hide up in the third floor stacks and read.
She’s a high school English teacher by day and writer by night. Rachele lives with her husband in Cleveland, Ohio, but dreams of one day moving to Boston, the city she fell in love with while going to graduate school there. You can find her thoughts about pretty much everything at www.freckle-head.com.


Hope thats helpful, Rachele. I am so excited for CANARY. I do have a question though - will your book be in B&N,etc. because it is coming from a smaller press? Thanks.


I also want to say HEY from Boston. Okay, well really I go to school in Cambridge, MA. So heeeey from Cambridge :-) I go to undergraduate here and really wish I could stay. I am torn between Cambridge/Boston and NYC.

Emma Pass said...

I really like this, and I don't think it sounds too long at-all. It has a nice flow to it. (Plus, I can totally relate to the reading-habit thing!)

Sarah Pearson said...

Well, it made me smile :-)

Angelica R. Jackson said...

I like it! And too bad this is sold, it would've looked snappy in an author pic

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60251336/septum-mustache-jewelry