Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What's In A Name?


There was a recent conversation on Twitter about names. A bunch of the The Lucky 13s' girls have names that are spelled different than the usual spelling or even names that are usually male.

I chimed in that my name is spelled different too.

Did you know that?

My parents spelled it "Rachele," but it's pronounced like "Rachel."

Have you been thinking it's Got the soft sound at the end like "Ra-shell?"

I've lived my whole life saying, "It's Rachel, my parents just spell it funny." Who knew?!

Sorry about the mistaken identity...I wanted to set the record straight!

6 comments:

Becca Christiansen said...

I always thought it was like Rachel... the single L tipped me off I guess :P

Bonnie Rae said...

My husband's name is Jan, but it is pronounced "yawn". His family is Dutch and that is the Dutch version "John". So growing up he had to tell everyone "It's John." And then explain! :p

Sarah Pearson said...

In my head I've always read it as Rachel too, don't know why :-)

Kristan Hoffman said...

I feel like you've told us this before and I forgot. Lol. Whoops!

My name is spelled slightly different too (must have been a thing for parents in the 80s?) but luckily no one calls me kris-TAN.

(Although my college nickname is Stan...)

Jocelyn Rish said...

I feel your pronunciation pain. Growing up I was always having to tell people how pronounce my name. But now that I'm older, there seem to be more Jocelyns around and therefor more people know the right way to say it (not JOSH-lyn).

I’ve been slow in making my rounds, but I’m saying howdy from the YA campaign group.

Tia Bach said...

I guess there's something to be said for being a Tia. Although everyone asks me if it's short for something, it's not. And my middle name is Cher (yes, that Cher). My mom and dad were clearly enjoying themselves!

I would have assumed Rachel as well.

I'm pathetically slow getting around to all my fellow #3 campaigners. *Hi*