Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How Do You Discover Books?


Publishers Weekly had a really interesting article last week. While the topic was more about a hybrid market (both print and e books), they talked about marketing and how readers discover books.

They included this chart (and yes, I know it add up to more than 100%...a lot more, in fact, but regardless, it's a pretty interesting view on how books are discovered).


I don't think there is one specific way I discover books. I definetly buy books from word of mouth, I trust the NY Times book recommendations, usually love anything NPR tells me to read and can be convinced to buy a book based on chatter that I catch on blogs or twitter.

What about you?

How do you discover books?

I'd love to hear how you decide what book to pick up next.

If you don't mind taking the simple survey, I'll post results in a couple of days.

Okay?

Okay!

10 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

My number one source is definitely personal recommendations from friends, especially now that I have so many online friends who are writers or publishing professionals, but I too have never been let down by NPR.

Rusty Fischer said...

Gheez, I can't remember the last time anyone at a bookstore acknowledged me, let alone offered to recommend a good book! But, that's what I have blogs like this one and so many others for! Voted, what a great survey; can't wait to see the results...

alberta ross said...

just dropped by to say hi from Rach's campaigners - on your group - I use friends recomendations, my own tastes - browsing and searching - book group reads - book reviews and chance finds however and wherever I can get hold of another book!!:)

Becca Christiansen said...

I said 'blogs,' because that encompasses both personal recommendations and reviews. My main way, gotta say, is Goodreads reviews. I spend a good deal of time reading them and I love the balance you can find in opinions.

Elsie Chapman said...

Hey Rachele! I selected book reviews as my main method, though certain blogs are my go-to, as well. I'm interested to see the end results.

Emma Pass said...

I usually find books through reviews, but I also work in a library, so I could have put that down too. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I totally go off friend recommendations! I can't get to nearly as many books as I want to, so I make sure they are really good first. Awesome idea for a poll!

Kristin Halbrook said...

Friend recommendations is definitely number one for me, but another way I get interested in books is through their covers. Intriguing covers always make me want to read the blurb, at the very least.

Christina Lee said...

This is great--personal recs, blurb/covers and buzz, definitely!

Regina said...

It depends,but usually I find books from book reviews, social networks, advertising and visiting my local library.