Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Can I Have An Author Moment?


I feel like I've quieted down a bit about writing since my book sold. I haven't really talked much about what's been going on (all good stuff but things that keep me busy...I just finished my first round of edits for CANARY and am now working on a final revision of my next book before I send it off to my agent).

Truthfully, it feels so far away before my book comes out that I still think of it in the abstract.

However, one thing has been sort of blowing my mind.

Goodreads.

My book got listed on Goodreads about a month after it sold.

Since then, people have been quietly adding it to their "to read" shelf.

97 people to be exact.

I know about fifteen of them.

That means roughly 82 complete strangers have found my book and marked it as something they want to read.

One person even put it on a shelf called "Dying-to-Read."

It's crazy, awesome and humbling.

People are discovering my book and they want to read it.

I'm not afraid to admit that I may find myself from time to time sticking my hand in the air and fist pumping my imaginary book.

Because this is a bit crazy to me and one of the first times that I actually feel like a published author.

And I have to admit, I like it!

6 comments:

Cate said...

Serious congrats to you! It's really inspiring to read the words of an author who is about to be published for the first time :)Will be on the look-out for your book!

Jeigh said...

That's so awesome! I'm not on Goodreads but I'll definitely be watching for your book.

Christina Lee said...

Made of AWESOME!!! Happy for you!!

Becca Christiansen said...

I can't believe I hadn't already added it to my Goodreads to-read shelf... but I just did :D

Mad props on the way-early success, girl. I can't wait to read it.

Kristan Hoffman said...

Oh gude, it's SUCH an awesome feeling! And just wait till you start getting those 5, 4, and even well-written 3 star reviews. Your whole world is sunshine.

(Just a note about GoodReads, though: I LOVE it, both as a reader and a writer, but it's not a place for thin skins.)

Gina Blechman said...

Congratulations! I shall add it to my goodreads list so that you may do more fist pumping. Sound good? Every success story is just more encouragement for those of us still working our way up. So, of course you're allowed to have a writerly moment. I'll be even more excited once I can read your book and post up a review to back up these words here.

Have a lovely, authorly day.

<3 Gina Blechman