Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Best Reads of 2011

I love reading everyone's best reads of 2011, so I wanted to post my own.

I know I am going to forget some books from this list, but I am so bad at writing down what I read. However, my Goodreads account is helping me a bit with that now, so I plan to keep count of my reading in 2012. I don't even know how many books I devour in a year!

NOTHING by Martin Aitken
This was a terrifying read, but is one of those books I'm still thinking about.

STOLEN by Lucy Christopher
I was able to get a class set of this book and plan to read it with my students. It is so creepy and amazing how Lucy Christopher gets you to fall in love with the antagonist of the story.

THE THINGS A BROTHER KNOWS by Dana Reinherdt
This is another book I got a class set of, and my students love and can relate to the brothers in this book. Many of them have siblings that are serving in the military right now and this book speaks to them.

THE BELL JAR by Slyvia Plath
I don't know why I've never read this book before. I had to read it for one of my MFA classes and adored Plath's writing and language.

A MOVEABLE FEAST by Ernest Hemingway
This was another MFA read. Who can't help but be envious of Hemingway's life writing in Paris?

I'm a huge fan of Egan and can't think of a book more worth of winning the Pulitzer.

THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett
I (and probably most of America!) adored this book! I loved, loved, loved it!

WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Forman
This was a honeymoon read, and I loved getting the next part of the story through Adam's perspective.

ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins
This was such a cute book and one of my top recommendations to my female students looking for a romance story.

This is one of my female students' favorite books...they were all fighting for my copy of it when I finished. This was a sweet happy ending to the series.

CLEAN by Amy Reed
This book rocks! I went into it thinking it would be like all the other addiction/rehab stories I've read, but Amy Reed managed to make it new, unique and awesome!

LIKE MANDARIN by Kirsten Hubbard
Oh, how I love this book. Kirsten Hubbard's writing is beautiful just like the story.

And my FAVORITE book of the year (which shouldn't come as a surprise, since I find every chance I can to gush about it!) is...

IMAGINARY GIRLS by Nova Ren Suma
I love me some magical realism, and I found myself slowing down because I didn't want it to end. Gah! I could go on and on about this for hours!

What about you? What were your top reads? What books am I missing from this list?

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I read The Bell Jar for the first time this year, too! Loved it.

Kristan Hoffman said...

I posted my list earlier - http://kristanhoffman.com/2011/12/27/my-fave-books-of-2011/ - but Like Mandarin, We'll Always Have Summer, and Stolen are on my TBR list. And I'm soooo glad Things a Brother Knows is speaking to so many of your students. It wasn't one of my favorites of the year, but I thought it was wonderful.

Bee said...

I too, read The Bell Jar for the first time this year. And WOW. I'm a Plath for for eternity now.