Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I...Like...Use The Word "Like"...Like...ALOT!


I got my first round of edits from my editor...woo hoo...and have been working through them. My heart didn't stop and they seem manageable (mind you, I haven't gotten my line edits yet, these are more big ideas and their style guide).

One of the things the style guide draws attention to are "Preferred Usage of Words." One of those preferred usages is the word "as" or "as if" being used instead of "like."

It didn't seem like a big deal to me until I started to search for the word.

I discovered I used the word "like" CONSTANTLY.

Oh my gosh...it's all over the place!

Now I'm afraid my manuscript sounds like a valley girl!

Like....oh my gosh!

What about you? Do you have certain words that you use way too much?

8 comments:

Jessica Therrien said...

This phrase was all over mine: "I couldn't help but..." I didn't catch it until about the third round of edits with my publisher. Good luck with your editing!! Have fun. Also, it's okay to cry lol...I did. It can be a lot of work, but it's so worth it in the end.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I have a whole list of them ... rather, scarcely, just, and about flipty-million unnecessary "thats."

Vicki Rocho said...

I've got so many. People are looking all over the place and I find I use negatives a lot. Instead of just saying what it IS, I like to tell you what it's NOT. DUH on me.

Word verification is styles. How appropriate!

Kristan said...

Oh yeah, I definitely have words. "Just" is the worst offender, though. And I JUST can't figure out how to replace it sometimes! :P

NiaRaie said...

I'm with Kristan. "JUST" is my worst offender!

Meredith said...

Ugh, I definitely use "like" too much, too. Right now I'm more worried about how many "to be" verbs I'm using, though. It's a plague!

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss rachele! for me i been just like miss dianne and used "that" soooo much. just as miss kristen i use just lots. ijust gotta stop doing that. ha ha.
...hugs from lenny

Colleen said...

I use "likely" and "no doubt" a lot! "Likely, he's a serial killer" or "No doubt, he's a serial killer."