Friday, November 18, 2011

Don't Worry...Be Happy


This week we had a scare.

My pup, Radley, had been getting sick off and on for about a week and Wednesday night, she threw up a huge ball of string. We rushed her to the vet because they were afraid that she might have it wrapped around her intestines. Needless to say, I was beside myself.

The technician brought me into the examination room after the vet had taken x-rays and I waited for him to return with the news. The x-ray was already on the screen, and I maybe kind of sort of freaked out.

This is what it looked like...


I sat for about ten minutes thinking everything on the right (under the R) was her stomach full of string. I sent a frantic text to my husband, I tried to keep back tears and I wanted to rip the plug out of the computer screen so I didn't have to look at it.

The vet walked in just as I was about to have a nervous breakdown, and guess what?

The middle section isn't even her stomach! The small bean-like thing on the uppper left hand side is. I had worked myself up over nothing.

While they did monitor her overnight to make sure there wasn't any blockage, all turned out well and she is now back home. Sleeping upside down in comfort!

Why am I writing about this?

Because this is often how I get about life and my writing. I worry about things. I stress about things. I feel like I'm not going to get everything done or am not devoting enough time to something that's important to me.

But you know what? It usually ends up not being as bad at it first seemed. I often look back and wonder why I made such a big deal out of nothing.

So step back this weekend. Try to spend some time just enjoying things and not worrying. Spend an extra minute laughing with someone, eat a sweet treat or allow yourself time to just sit and relax. Celebrate all the things that do go right in your life and maybe those other little problems that you fret over will seem just that...little.

5 comments:

Kristan said...

Very good advice, and I'm SO glad Radley was okay! We've definitely had our fair share of scares with Riley (he too likes to eat things that are not necessarily what I would call food) but now that he's 4, we can usually tell what's an emergency and what's just unfortunate. Hope you won't have to become as nonchalant as us, lol.

Sarah Pearson said...

I'm so glad things turned out okay. We had our own emergency this week and I, of course, assumed the worst!

Sully's Scribbles said...

Aww I'm glad the pup was okay! We had to rush mine to the vet about a month and half ago. Poor girl had stones in her bladder. A thousand dollar surgery later and she's doing great. For such tiny things they can cause a whole lot of worry!

Cynthia Lee said...

Radley is so cute! I love it when dogs sleep in silly ways. I'm glad she's all right. :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Your dog is adorable. Thank goodness she was okay.