Monday, October 10, 2011

2011 Debut Author Spotlight: Nova Ren Suma

Christina Lee came up with a wonderful idea to spotlight 2011 writers that we've fallen in love with. I jumped at the chance to gush about Nova Ren Suma's book Imaginary Girls. She's an agency sister (also repped by Dystel and Goderich) and writes in my new favoriate genre, magical realism.


I know I've raved about this book, but how about one more time in case you didn't hear me?

Here's the Goodreads summary:

Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns...moreChloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.


It's one of those books that you slow down to read because you don't want it to end. Here's some of the reasons I loved Imaginary Girls:

*The book focuses on sisters and their love for each other. Nova creates a bond that shows how far a sibling will go for another sibling (and what they will sacrafice). I have an amazing sister myself, and I loved to read about the relationship between Chloe and Ruby.

*Nova is a genius at creating setting. I felt like I lived in this crazy eerie town with the reservoir and could picture every single element of it. She described it in a way that I still swore I must have been to it before because I knew this town.

*The book starts with a mystery and it keeps getting stranger and stranger, but it makes perfect sense to the story. That's part of the greatness of magical realsim. You don't question what is going on; it seems natural and unnatural at the same time.

*I loved loved loved the character of Ruby. She was flawed in every way, but her confidence and firey personality made me want to be her just for a day.

*The cover is gorgeous. Seriously, it's so beautiful, I found myself closing the book in the middle of chapters and staring at it. Nova had the cover gods on her side when this book was designed.

Check the book out...you won't regret it!

What about you? What new 2011 author did you love?

Check out the other authors we featured:
Susan is featuring RIP TIDE
Robyn spotlights ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and WITH A NAME LIKE LOVE
Matt loves SOLSTICE
Nicole wants to tell you about POSSESSION
Janet tells why she loves LIAR SOCIETY
Kate talks about MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN
Sheri admires IRON WITCH
Jen would like to tell you about WITHER
Shannon celebrates DARK PARTIES
Jon loves MY VERY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE
Michelle tells you about SHIFTING
Susan admires WITH A NAME LIKE LOVE
Natalie gives a shout out to AUDITION, THE FAERIE RING, and MY VERY UNFAIRY TALE LIFE
Katie loves THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER
Stina gives you a taste of BAD TASTE IN BOYS
Jessie spotlights SPELLBOUND and BIRTHRIGHT
Willow admires DESTINED
Christine raves about POSSESS
Kristin really really likes CLARITY
Anne features READY PLAYER ONE
Meredith wants to shout about DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE
Amy Rose loves THE NEAR WITCH
Theresa talks about DIVERGENT
Kelly focuses in on EARTHLING HERO and A SCARY GOOD BOOK
Christine gears you up for THE LIPSTICK LAWS
Laura is wild about GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS
Patti tells you about HEREAFTER
Portia admires THE SECRET OF SPRUCE KNOLL
Ali has plenty to say about POSSESSIO
N

6 comments:

Christina Lee said...

YAY!!!!!! This book had me thinking for days on end--that's how I knew I was totally moved by it! GREAT choice!!!!

Meredith said...

This one has to be next on my TBR pile--it sounds amazing! Thanks so much for the review!

Bonnie Rae said...

Oooo I will have to check this one out!

Linda said...

I love Imaginary Girls!

Sarah Pearson said...

This sounds right up my street, thank you.

Janet Johnson said...

I just finished the book, and it's haunting! And yes, Ruby is an amazing character. Scary. But amazing!