Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sending My New Baby Out Into The World

I don't talk to often about my MFA program, but I'm currently in a program as a fiction writer. I'm working my way through it slowly because I have a full time job and am still paying off loans on my first graduate degree (only one and a half more years....yay!). I really like the program; it's great to be in classes where you talk about writing and being in a community of other writers is very encouraging.

A major component is the workshop. I'm required to take fifteen hours of workshop classes (5 semesters). I look forward to taking workshop classes. I find it interesting to sit around and discuss other people's writing (I often get good tips for my own writing from these discussions).

Tonight is my first night (we workshop our pieces twice). I sit silent for 45 minutes while the class discuses my work. Usually I don't mind this. I like the feedback, different views and ideas. I always leave my personal story workshop with a lot of new ideas. Except, tonight I'm somewhat terrified of workshopping my piece. You see, the story that I submitted is the first 30 pages of my new novel. The novel no one but my agent has seen. It's still my baby and I'm a little bit scared to show my baby to everyone. So wish me luck! I'm sure it will be fine, but you know how it goes when you're showing off your work for the first time.*

What about you? Do you get those first draft jitters? Who are the first people you usually share your work with?

*I set this to post right when my class starts....so if you're reading it tonight, chances are my work is also being talked about!

8 comments:

Heidi Windmiller said...

I would get the jitters in that situation! But I would also love the feedback.

I always show my first drafts to the same alpha, and she has read so much of my work and is so supportive that I never feel nervous with her. I'm lucky to have her!

NiaRaie said...

I definitely get jitters, but they also stem from excitement at the thought of getting feedback and being able to make the WIP better.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Oh, I definitely get those jitters! I don't send first drafts to my agent -- I'd be too scared! I'm currently working on my 5th draft of my current WIP --polishing and tweaking -- and I still wonder if it's ready for her eagle eye!!

Good luck sharing your baby! I'm sure they'll love it.

Claire Lachance said...

I would definitely have the jitters, LOL.

Angelina C. Hansen said...

My heart was pounding just reading this. Hope it went beautifully for you. I share my work with several different trusted beta readers before sending it to my agent.

ladonna watkins said...

Yes, I send it to an online writing workshop, but they help me see holes in my story. It is scary but fun.

MG Higgins said...

Terrified! I'm always nervous about having other people read my writing.

Meredith said...

I hope it went well! Always frightening to send a MS out there.