Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Different Genre...Who Woulda Thunk?!

I kept trying to remind myself to thank all of you for your words of encouragement the night of my MFA workshop.

The workshop went well...I got some GREAT feedback and left feeling inspired and ready to write again. Phew!

However, during the conversation a little word got thrown around quite a bit.

A word my agent also threw around when we were talking about my new novel.

A word that I have never dreamed would be associated with me.

Everyone thinks that the start of my book sets up and could easily have some paranormal elements to it.

Paranormal?

Me?

I never thought that I would say this, but....

Why not?!?

We'll see where this leads me. I think it will end up being more magical realism than paranormal, which is fine with me. There's some magical realism books that have come out lately that I adore. It may add a really cool element to my story. And if I don't like it, whose to say I can go back to making it a contemporary story?

So once again, wish me luck!

What about you? What's a genre that you could never see yourself writing in????

9 comments:

Carol Riggs said...

Very interesting! I think I would fall into the same category--paranormal. But my Shiny New Idea might be just that, or borderline that. We'll see what my agent says. Well, ahem, I'll have to write some of it first so she can tell. LOL Best of luck with your PARANORMAL!!

Becca C. said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much exclusively a contemp writer. Paranormal is something I don't think I could ever write -- or if I tried it, I don't think I could write it well XD

But I am playing around with a magical realism idea!

KT said...

Yeah, I'm usually a dystopian... but there's this idea swirling around in my head and it's wanting to be contemporary... I woulda never thought! I tried it once before, but it didn't work out. This one has a much better hook though, so maybe!

Good luck on paranormal! I don't know if I could do that, but you never know!

Meredith said...

How fun! Magical realism always seemed like an awesome genre--good luck!

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

Welcome to the Dark Side. ... It's fun here. We have snacks.

Rida said...

LOL that. ^

I can't see myself writing paranormal. It's just not something I like to read that much, so I wouldn't write it :|

Lisa Nowak said...

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Matthew MacNish said...

Romance. Yuck!

Er, wait - crap. I have romantic subplots in my novel already. Dang it.

Heather said...

Definitely steampunk. I haven't read any, I've never even beta read any. I don't think I'd be able to write it believably.
Think I'll just stick to YA and romance :)