Thursday, September 1, 2011

Balance Fail

I want to be honest on this blog. That's what it's all about, right?

I want to show you my journey to being published and not hold back.

That means you'll be a part of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Yesterday I blogged about balance and my new writing plan and how it had been going well for the first two and a half weeks of school. You left me such nice messages of encouragement.

Well, today...

I came home....

and crashed.

I took a two hour nap and didn't wake up until my puppy was whining in my ear to go out.

Balance FAIL.

Oh well. I learned a long time ago that writing doesn't always go smoothly. So I'll take the days where I'm super energized (like yesterday when I came home from my MFA fiction workshop class and wrote for two hours because I was excited to be back from taking the summer off and being surrounded by writers again) and days like today.

Because there is always tomorrow. A new day and a new balance!

What about you? Do you have any writing truths you want to spill?


11 comments:

Sarah Pearson said...

See, that's the great thing about bodies. Eventually they rest when we need it, even when we try to convince ourselves that we don't :-)

Writing truth? Summer was a wash out. Autumn will be better!

Kristan said...

Haha, that always happens to me. I tell someone how great things are going, or I blog about my new wonderful routine, and it all comes crashing down. But at least you can be open and self-forgiving about it. That's what took me so long to realize: it's no big deal. You fall off the bike? Get back on and start pedaling!

If you crashed, you probably needed the rest. Hope you're feeling refreshed now. :)

Angelina C. Hansen said...

Writing truths? I take LOTS OF NAPS. And sometimes I don't meet my goals. And sometimes I HATE writing. And sometimes I'm hormonally challenged and have to roll with that. Mostly I've learned to be gentle with myself (since I can crack the whip pretty hard).

How does that song go? "You pick yourself up. Dust yourself off. And start all over again."

Or something like that.

Bonnie Rae said...

I look at it this way...life happens!

I am in your campaign group - stopping by to say hey! Nice blog!

Sommer Leigh said...

I'm a napper too. It happens. The best part about starting new game plans is restarting them every day, with each day's new challenges.

Good luck today :-)

Janet Johnson said...

I think there will always be days like that, where you crash. But as long as you realize that you can start fresh the next day, then all is well.

One bad day shouldn't dictate the rest, right? I think it's awesome you're working at it. :D

Rusty Fischer said...

I always feel like crashing, napping, stepping away from the screen or simply "checking out" on your writing is kind of a "creative investment" you make where, after two hours of sleep or a really good -- or really BAD, which is sometimes better -- movie or a trip to the gym or whatever, you come back creatively refreshed and hit the WIP with twice as much enthusiasm. That's all I got for "writerly wisdome"!

Melodie said...

My writing mantra: there's always tomorrow! You can't write if you're exhausted. Or you could but it wouldn't make any sense. :)

My consistent fail is social media procrastination. Meaning I blog hop, tweet or work on my own blog rather than write on my WIP. The trick is not starting - avoiding the browser and opening my MS instead. Oh wait...I failed on that again today. Sigh.

Lisa Nowak said...

My plans are always being derailed by one thing or another. You've just gotta give yourself permission to let things slide every once in a while.

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

Writing truth: I should be writing (well actually editing) my novel right now - but I'm procrastinating and reading blogs instead...

mm91606 said...

I don't know how you do it! I'm hoping that I can learn to manage my time as well as you do once I am teaching full-time.