Thursday, August 11, 2011

Never Give Up


Have you read The Help?

If you have, phew! How awesome was it, right?

If you haven't, go out and buy it now!

Why are you still reading this???? Go out and buy it! :)

I've fallen in love with the book (just like a huge part of this country) and all my friends/family have been given gifts of the book. I even get to teach it this year in my American Literature course!

This article by the author, Kathryn Stockett, is a must read for writers. She queried over 60 agents before she found one and worked tirelessly on the book even when others told her to quit. She talks about revising while in labor and sneaking away to hotels down the street to write (while telling her husband she was on girls' weekends). It's about an inspirational as the book is. If you believe in something, you fight for it.

So writers, take her advice and don't give up!

5 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

I always thought this was set much further back in history, until the ads for the movie started showing cars.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I really enjoyed the book and look forward to seeing the movie. Jumping over right now to read her article.

Kristan said...

It just came in off Hold at the library, so I'm picking it up this afternoon! Can't wait!

E.R. King said...

Thanks for the article! I didn't know all that about Kathryn Stockett.

J.L. Campbell said...

I've been wanting to read this book. Will definitely stop in and read the article by the author. I have to admire her tenacity - 60 agents? Guess there's nothing else but to slog on when you believe in what you're doing.