Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Keeping Balance

Long gone are the days of summer where I could write for hours.

Now that the school year has started (both at the high school where I teach and classes for my MFA program), I knew I had to figure out a way to juggle it all. Between grading, lesson planning and completing MFA classwork, I'm pretty much drained during the week

So I came up with a solution that's been working pretty well with my revisions.

I printed out the draft of my book and Monday-Friday I go over the draft and write notes, cross things out (sometimes lots of things) and mark areas where I want to add more. This works well. This works really well. While it does involve some thinking, it's thinking over something that's already been written.

The weekend is my time to create new writing (usually areas I marked in my draft where I want to expand scenes, review or create whole new ones). My husband (it's still kind of strange to say that!) understands that I need one day a weekend to dedicate to my writing. I've been packing up and heading to my favorite Starbucks at Barnes and Noble, where I plug my headphones into my Mac and write, write, write. It's easier to write on the weekend, because my mind is not already jumbled up with all the other stuff from the day.

I'm slowly but surely making my way through my first draft and seem to have found a happy balance to work, writing, school and life.

At least until I get my first editorial letter from my editor. I'm pretty good at juggling, but I'm not sure how I'm going to fit in revising a book and writing one! Yikes!

What about you? How do you try to keep balance?

10 comments:

Read my books; lose ten pounds! said...

smart, enjoy. Honestly, Im glad thre is school. now I have a few less kids in the house

Meredith said...

Sounds like you've found such a good balance! I try to schedule out my week to make sure I get all the writing time in that I can. It really does help to have a plan!

Christine Murray said...

Haven't yet managed to get balance, my life is a bit of a jumble. I love the idea of dedicating an entire day to writing.

Sarah Pearson said...

Balance and me aren't friends during the Summer. Things should get a bit easier now that school's in.

Glad to hear the revision is going well.

Jacey said...

That sounds like a smart way to handle your busy schedule. I'm glad your husband understands your needs!

Matthew MacNish said...

Sounds like you're doing well!

Angelina C. Hansen said...

A schedule and a routine. Sounds like you've got them both. And the ability to be flexible when the carpet gets pulled out from underneath.

Cynthia Lee said...

I'm amazed that you get any writing done at all. You're awesome!

Brittany said...

Honestly, I don't have much balance, but your way of balancing sounds great! School starts for me on the 6th, and I'm not too busy until winter. I'm planning on writing on the weekends and I might try to get up earlier in the morning to get 15-20 extra minutes to write.

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

well, i literally just started revising today, so i don't think i've worked myself into any sort of balance yet. I'm sure i'll figure something out soon