Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Perfect Last Day of Summer

I've been reading tweets and Facebook messages of writer parents excited to have their kids go back to school. They get time to write in peace and quiet. I, on the other hand, will lose a huge chunk of my writing time as I go back to the classroom.

Today is my last day of summer vacation and while I'm excited about the classes I'm teaching this year, it always gets so much harder to balance everything during the school year.

But today I won't think about that.

Today is my perfect last day!

This is what it will look like:

1) Get up and take this cutie outside and then spend some time playing with her (leaving her is probably going to be the hardest part of going back to work).


Isn't she getting big!?! She was just a little squirt a few months ago!

2) Brew a huge cup of coffee (in my mustache mug!) and spend some hours with my book in my pajamas (my writing time will shift, and most of my writing will get done in the evenings or on the weekends. Writing in the morning when my mind is still fresh is my favorite way to do it).


3) Get a facial (woo hoo!). The ladies at work gave me a gift certificate for my wedding shower to the spa I love, so I'm cashing it in today on a 90 minute facial. Hav

4) Sushi with the hubs (a perfect day isn't complete without sushi!).

What about you? What would you do on your perfect day?

And don't forget to enter my contest...you have until Sunday! Click here for information!

12 comments:

Cynthia Lee said...

I think my perfect day would involve sushi as well. Also sunshine, quiet, maybe yoga, silly dancing and a walk with my dog.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Enjoy your day!!
I know exactly what you mean. I go back for my first teacher inservice day on Tuesday. The day before that, I'll be finishing up a weekend in Cape May with friends -- and it will be pretty hectic.

So I'm going to count tomorrow (Friday) as my last day of summer vacation -- the last day I have nothing to do but write.

And that's how I plan to spend it!

Meredith said...

What a perfect last day! I now covet your mustache mug. :)

E.R. King said...

That's a great day! Mine would be sitting in the sun at the beach after getting a pedicure, my shiny clean toes digging into the sand.

Lisa Nowak said...

Hope you have an awesome day, Rachele! I know it probably seems like things get more difficult to manage every year, but just think, this year you don't have to worry about planning a wedding. And you have an incredible new agent, so that's sure to take some pressure off. Good luck with your school year.

Kristan said...

A 90 min facial?? There's that much do to on such a small area of the body? Lol well I hope you enjoy it.

And yeah, leaving the pup will be hard, but it will be SO GREAT when you come home and she goes nuts over you. :)

J.L. Campbell said...

School opens in September here, so the kids are still on holidays. The perfect day for me would be spent doing nothing at all, but reading. Have fun!

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

sushi would probably be on my day too. Also, shopping. But only if i had extra money

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

I'm glad my teaching gig doesn't start til after Labor Day! Love that you mention the flip side to parent-writers sending their kids back to school -- the teacher-writers having to deal with those same kids all day!

My perfect summer day involves a long walk in low-70 degree weather and a glass of wine. Or tea. Or both.

Talli Roland said...

Hope you had a great last day, and a good start to the school year!

urban muser said...

your dog is so cute! i hate leaving my dog when i go to work too. thanks for stopping by my blog today.

AllMyPosts said...

Came here from the Platform Building Campaign!!


Cool Blog!!

with warm regards
Another Author