Friday, August 12, 2011

Honeymoon Reading

Your honeymoon is the perfect time to do a lot of reading. Right?

Okay, maybe not, but I still found time to fit it in on the plane rides and while sitting in the sun.

If you remember from this posting, I saved a bunch of books that I was excited to read for the honeymoon. Although I cheated a bit and read some of the books before I left, I had some amazing books still loading on my Kindle.

The Fates Will Find Their Way (Pittard)
I heard the author speak at the Kenyon Review Writers Workshop and was intrigued by her book. It's about a girl who goes missing in high school and life after. It's told as a collective "we," and is narrated by the boys who went to school with her. The book follows their lives as they grow older and possibilities of what might have happened to the missing girl.

Sisterhood Everlasting (Brashares)
I loved the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, so I was ecstatic when I heard she was writing another one. The book skips ahead ten years and while parts reminded me of what I loved in the earlier series, this book is very very sad. Seriously, the entire book has a mournful theme to it, but it was wonderful to visit with the characters again.

We'll Always Have Summer (Han)
I love this series, and I always recommend it to my female students who want a cute romance. A bunch of my girls read it when it came out a few months ago, and I swore them to secrecy. I didn't want them to ruin which brother Belly ends up with, and I'll stay silent too so I don't ruin it for you!

The Solitude of Prime Numbers (Giordano)
I had read a recommendation of this book awhile ago, and I wanted to read it. It's translated from Italian and follows two characters (a boy and girl) from childhood to adulthood. I loved how it was told in a more episodic way.

Where She Went (Foreman)
I did not want this book to end (and it did too fast, because I read it in less than a day!). It's the sequel to If I Stay, but it's told from Adam's perspective. I thought I wouldn't like it, but I don't think it would have been the same if Mia told the story. It was wonderful, and I can't wait to share it with my students who love If I Stay.

This Beautiful Life (Schulman)
This book was reviewed in the NY Times about two weeks ago and I had to find wi-fi at the hotel in Paris to download it because it didn't come out until August 2. It's about an affluent family in NYC and the aftermath of what happens when the teenage son forwards a video sent to him from a girl admirer. It's a pretty timely topic, and I liked how the author showed how the entire family was affected from this one event.

I'd recommend any of these reads. What about you? Have you read any good books this summer?

4 comments:

Kristan said...

Well, as you know, I read Room by Emma Donoghue and LOVED it. Now I'm onto The Help. I also read Where She Went and really enjoyed that, and I loved The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson and I think you would too.

Matthew MacNish said...

I haven't heard of any of those! Do any of them have sword fights in them?

Melissa Sarno said...

Thanks for listing these. I so enjoyed your mini reviews. And now I have a bunch of books I want to read!

Talli Roland said...

I really want to read 'Where She Went'. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!