Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Creative Marketing

My writing friend Lisa Nowak has done some of the most creative marketing I've ever seen for a book.

First, she wrote a wonderful YA novel called Running Wide Open. Here's the description of her book:

Cody Everett has a temper as hot as the flashpoint of racing fuel, and it's landed him at his uncle's trailer, a last-chance home before military school. But how can he take the guy seriously when he calls himself Race, eats Twinkies for breakfast, and pals around with rednecks who drive in circles every Saturday night?

What Cody doesn't expect is for the arrangement to work. Or for Race to become the friend and mentor he's been looking for all his life. But just as Cody begins to settle in and get a handle on his supercharged temper, a crisis sends his life spinning out of control. Everything he's come to care about is threatened, and he has to choose between falling back on his old, familiar anger or stepping up to prove his loyalty to the only person he's ever dared to trust.


I read it in beta form and loved it. I also know a lot of students who will like this book too. It's about racing, but includes so much more. My favorite part of it is how she develops family and what it means and how sometimes your family isn't always the people you're related to. I think that will speak strongly to a lot of my students.

The book focuses a lot on racing, so Lisa sponsored a 12 year old driver! How cool is that!? His name is Jared Myers, age 12, and the car is a '75 Nova. The class it runs in is called Tracers, short for Teen Racers, and she says "the idea behind it was to give kids something positive to spend their time on and also to help build a family atmosphere at the track." Lisa has her book's title on the car and the colors match the cover. I think it's the most clever idea ever, and I love that she's also supporting a local racer.


What other creative marketing ideas have you seen? I'd love to hear them!

P.S. You should totally buy this book! I promise it's a great read! And Lisa also blogs about writing.

6 comments:

J.L. Campbell said...

I agree that's an innovative idea. I'm always looking for marketing ideas. Gonna check out her blog.

Kristan said...

I don't know that I've seen anything that innovative... Some authors run clever contests, but that's nowhere near the same. Thanks for sharing this story (and a story behind the story)!

Kristan said...

Oh, one thing that I've seen some chick lit authors do is promote their books by promoting OTHER chick lit authors. Like Allison Winn Scotch celebrated her latest book's release by giving away books by Laura Dave and others all that week. Marketing like that lifts up whole genres, yanno?

Madeline Bartos said...

This book sounds awesome! It's even more awesome that she's supporting a 12 year old driver. I wish I was driving when I was 12. ;) Sadly, I don't think I've seen many creative marketing ideas besides this one.

Lisa Nowak said...

Thanks so much for the shout-out, Rachele! Actually, I'm not the only writer who's done this (Will Weaver has, too) but I came up with the idea when I watched my friend Ricky Ashley racing in June of 2007, and I didn't read Will's book until fall of 2008. I guess great minds think alike. :)

I see from your link that RWO is now available in print at Amazon. AND the books I ordered from the printer were sitting on my front steps when I got home today. Woo hoo! As it stands, I have 10 copies that aren't yet spoken for, so I'm donating one to your classroom. Email me your address, and I'll get it in the mail to you.

Anonymous said...

Lisa is not only innovative and dynamic, she's also creative and sensitive. Running Wide Open is the first of a series and once you read it you'll be trolling for the next one. It is so in character for her to launch a marketing campaign that helps a young driver in his bid for the checkered flag. She's knows the importance of sponsorship as she built and raced her own car in Eugene, N. Carolina, and Portland. Way to go, Lisa! Alice Lynn