Thursday, July 7, 2011

Beautiful Language

Have you ever read a book where the writing is so beautiful that you wish you had an ounce of the talent that writer had? Books that really blow you away with their prose and language?

I've been lucky enough to read two books like that this year.

First, Kirsten Hubbard's Like Mandarin, which I read on my Kindle when it came out and then procedded to buy paperback copies for my classroom library because I knew my students would love it.



Second, Nova Ren Suma's Imaginary Girls. Oh my gosh. I'm reading it right now and am blown away by her writing. I'm trying to read it slowly because I want it to last, but the story just keeps pushing me forward faster and faster.




Uhm....and can we talk about the beautiful covers of each?

Have you read this books? If not, you MUST go buy them right now. Go....buy them!

What books have you read where you've fallen in love with the language? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

Kristan said...

Gah, still waiting to borrow Imaginary Girls! I can't wait.

Hmm, beautiful language... Jhumpa Lahiri is the first that comes to mind, even though she's not YA. Robin McKinley is YA, but I don't know if her prose is beautiful so much as it is magical. It just disappears, and I am transported into the story. I don't feel like I'm reading at all.

(PS: Your Bio paragraph says you are a high school by day. I'm guessing that's not quite what you meant. :P)

Tere Kirkland said...

Loved the writing in Like Mandarin, too! It was so lyrical and even... atmospheric at times.

Wither was also very beautifully written, although the story wasn't my favorite.

Sourire11 said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I've been looking for some good reads. I can't think of any books where the language got me but I'm reading Provenance right now and the story is incredible.

Gina Blechman said...

I'm now regretting not reading Like Mandarin. I had heard nice things about it, so I took it out from my library a couple weeks ago, but with all the books I've said I'll review for my blog, I never had the time. I guess I'll have to make it a priority. As for the other book, I'll have to look into that too. Thanks for the recommendations!

<3 Gina Blechman