Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Book That Helps You Shed Pounds

I'm a member of an awesome Cleveland YA book club (well, maybe part time, since I can't ever seem to make a meeting during the school year). We have some awesome writers and writers to be in the group. These past two weeks, two of there books have come out. Leah Clifford's A Touch Mortal and the Lisa and Laura Roecker's Liar Society.

I was lucky enough to win Lisa and Laura's arc contest a few weeks ago. I got a stack of totally awesome books that have found a well loved home in my classroom.

I was ecstatic when I got my arc of Liar Society, but...because I also teach and take MFA classes, I couldn't get to the book right away. So I passed it on to my students.

They haven't given it up. It's been making the rounds in my classroom.

So when it came out on Tuesday, I knew I had to have my own copy. It was calling to me on my Kindle.


I downloaded it today, and let me tell you....it's the best exercise tool out there!

My main squeeze got me this awesome tool for my bike (the same one Lance Armstrong uses) so that I can ride it inside. Essentially, it turns it into a spinning bike.

I love riding it, but it can get tedious (okay, who am I kidding...all forms of exercise to me is tedious!). And then I started reading this book. I rode and read and suddenly I had been on the bike for fourteen minutes and had read three chapters. I kept riding and my workout flew by.

Woo-hoo! A book so good it makes you forget that you're exercising! If that's not a great book endorsement, I don't know what is!

P.S. The book club picture is compliments of Christina Lee....check out her blog!

And don't forget to enter my DIVERGENT arc contest. I'll pick a winner a week from today. Each time you re-tweet, blog or Facebook, you get more entries. You can let me know if the comments if you do! Good luck!

12 comments:

Kristan said...

AWW your writing group doesn't get free ARCs?? Sad... But yay for books that you can't put down!

I just started *writing* one, lol, does that count? (I mean that *I* can't put it down, not that no one could. Although hopefully no one can/will... Someday...)

Sophia the Writer said...

I just forwarded this post to my bf - BEST IDEA EVER

Tracey Neithercott said...

I think I'd pass out from exhaustion if I did that. I've heard The Liar Society is unputdownable.

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Well now I definitely want to read it!
Do you actually read on your kindle while you bike? I'm not sure I could do that... Or do you have audible or something?

Stephanie said...

I have a hard time reading while exercising, but I've found that the right audiobook makes going to the gym bearable. I'm listening to the first in the Bloody Jack series (about a girl on a British navy ship--lots of swashbuckling and adventure). It's so good, it's even made the stairclimber bearable!

Janet Johnson said...

What a great work out tool! If I had a decent bike, I'd say I need me one of those! But that is an awesome endorsement. Anything to get us through the grueling work we put ourselves through to stay fit. :)

Lisa Nowak said...

Great idea, Rachele. I should try this on my husband's exercise bike.I prefer walking to biking, but somehow I don't think walking while reading is a very good idea.

Tina said...

I ALWAYS bring a book along to the gym for my workouts on the bike - it really makes the time fly by. Now, if I could only read while weight training as well!

Christina Lee said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm reading it as well this week!

Donea Lee said...

Sounds like a great workout! I just got The Liar Society in the mail today - can't wait to read it! :) New follower and fellow crusader just (finally) making the rounds. Happy Thursday!

Matthew Rush said...

Who is the one dude, Scott, right? So jealous.

Margo Berendsen said...

Oh that's right I can download it now, too! (great idea for losing weight :)

new crusader/follower here (yeah, i'm a little late getting around, sorry!)