Sunday, February 27, 2011

I Said I'd Never Do It, But I Did...

What do you think of my new clutch....


Oh wait...it was turned the wrong way. It's not a purse...


It's a case for my new Kindle! With pockets in the side to stick papers, credit cards, pens and other goodies!

What do you think? My mom made it and I told her she needs to sell the on etsy. Would you buy one?

Speaking of ebook readers...

I am a self proclaimed book snob. I buy books like they're going out of style, when I moved I had 19 boxes of books and always like to check out what other people are reading. The librarians all knew my name when I was growing up and as soon as I was old enough, I got a job at the library. I majored in English in undergrad, graduate school and now I'm getting my MFA.
Books are my life.

That's why I swore I'd never get a Kindle. I couldn't imagine reading off of a device where you don't turn pages or have a cover in color. How would I mark up the text? Wouldn't I miss the smell of a new book?

I openly dissed Kindles whenever I had the chance.

Until my mom got me one for my birthday.

Now I'm in love!

Seriously! I love love love it!

It's light, saves my place, I slip it in my bag when I'm going place and I can buy books whenever I want. It only takes a few seconds! I feel like I'm going through books a lot faster now (although I'm not sure why) and I love being able to search for a new book or buy one the day it comes out when I wake up (hello, Like Mandarin....I can't wait to do that next week).

While I'd never never give up a physical book, I'm a believer. I love my kindle.

What about you? Do you have an ebook reader? What are your thoughts on it?

And don't forget to enter my DIVERGENT arc contest. I'll pick a winner a week from today. Each time you re-tweet, blog or Facebook, you get more entries. You can let me know if the comments if you do! Good luck!

20 comments:

Lisa Nowak said...

Yay, Mom! I think it's a very cool cover. She could make custom Kindle covers and sell them for sure. For my Nook I had several options, and the prices started at $30. I think she should consider putting some sort of plastic inside the material to offer a little extra protection. Maybe not on all of them, but as an option. Just imagine all the fun possibilities. She could do college colors, animal themes, people's names. I'd definitely encourage her.

Carrie said...

Cute Kindle holder. Your mom should totally sell them on etsy. I have a Kindle and I'm not sure what I did before.

JEFritz said...

That is the cutest cover ever. I know my mom would die for one. And yes, me too! Your mom really did a wonderful job.

Enjoy your Kindle. I think it adds to the literary experience rather than detracts. Have fun!

allison said...

Very adorable! I'd buy one... if it fits nooks, too!

I've always loved "real" books, but got a nook as a birthday gift. I like it for the same reasons you listed. That being said, I still read, buy, and check out from the library physical books, and I still carry them around with me while I'm reading!

Trisha said...

Very pretty - love the colour :)

Sophia the Writer said...

lol and I was getting all mad thinking, "Why didn't my bf get THAT cover instead?"

I felt exactly the same as you until the blogosphere swayed me. Then I got a kindle for Valentine's Day and it was all over.

Lauri said...

You could definitely sell those! Very cute.

ashelynn sanford said...

That is a cute cover! I don't have an e-reader, although I want one . . . but I think mostly I want one for the e-galleys I get. It sucks to read them on the computer, but everybody says they love their e-reader. I just love physical books so much. Sigh.

Sarah Ketley (constance) said...

very cute :-)

i have an ipad so read all my books on that. Very handy really. I have only just started to buy them on the Ipad, i still prefer the look of real books. I just bought 20 new ones the other day:
http://precociousscribe.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-books-new-books.html
see the piccies here :-)

i love books.

Don't think i will get a kindle considering i have the Ipad.

Happy crusading

sarah

Kristan said...

I was not staunchly against e-readers, but I never really wanted one. However, my dad got me one for Christmas, and I too love it!

"I feel like I'm going through books a lot faster now (although I'm not sure why)"

So true, and so dangerous. I have like two dozen samples to read, all of which I think I will want to buy… And did I mention I just quit my job? No income plus manic desire for books equals badsauce.

Oh, and yes I love the cover your mother made! How crafty!

Kara said...

That cover is so chic!!!

The Kindle has made me a better reader. There, I said it. I read more now with it. Plus, the dictionary feature that is built in...amazing! Now I can actually know what I am reading instead of just pretending like I do.

Aleeza said...

yay, im so glad you liked it! at the moment im reading ebooks straight off my computer. hopefully ill get a kindle soon, too.
happy reading! :)

Bethany Mason said...

I used to think the same as you but now I'm beginning to hanker for a kindle (am saving up!) as I know it will save me so much space. I expect I'll always have paper books (I can't imagine ever giving up going to bookshops and charity shops and picking up completely random books and finding something I want to read).

And love the kindle cover - I think it's a brilliant idea and will definitely sell.

Colene Murphy said...

Very cute!!! I really like that cover. It looks smooshy soft.
I'm in the ereader hate club. Like you were, I can't imagine not going to the bookstore spending hours browsing, buying them, smelling them, feeling the pages, etc. Ebook hater for life!(Or until a relative buys one for me thinking I would love it and I end up loving it. *shudder* the horror...)

Jacey said...

I've been thinking about getting one as well. I'm glad to hear you love it!

Michael Offutt said...

It looks sexy.

Dr. Cheryl Ward said...

Yep, I would buy it on Etsy since I am collecting book covers for my Kindle and my iPad based on my mood, season or where I am going!

Loved my Kindle first, but now with Kindle on ipad love my ebooks even more! I like swiping to turn the page!

What do I miss..looking thru the whole book at each chapter before I read, feeling a book, dog-eared pages, bookmarks. Looking at my books on the shelf...but I don't miss having TONS of books everywhere, buying new shelving just for books!

scarves said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kari Marie said...

Welcome to the Kindle fanclub, your dues will be extracted directly from your pocketbook in the form of all your new books. God I love my Kindle. That clutch is adorable.

Faith said...

I love my Nook too! It doesn't mean fewer physical books at all... just MORE books all around! Huzzah!!!