Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Leo + Gatsby = Best Ever

This is now old news, but I haven't done my fan girl scream about it yet.

Baz Lurhmann is directing The Great Gatsby.

You know, Baz Lurhmann who directed Romeo and Juliet...one of the best movies ever made (partly because he cast Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes, who together are awesome). I look forward to showing it every year to my freshmen when we finish reading the play. I was obsessed with the movie in high school (to the point where my friends and I tried to find t Claire Dane's dress from the costume party scene for prom....which my one friend did!).

The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books in the world. I read it almost every year and when my main squeeze and I first started dating, he read it too because I told him about how much I liked it. That's when I knew that he was special...any man willing to read Gatsby for a girl has to be the bomb diggity.

So far Leonardo has been cast for Jay Gatsby (squee!), Tobey McGuire for Nick and Carrie Mulligan for Daisy (both I think are a great choices). Although I must say, I don't know if anyone will ever top Robert Redford.

People are speculating about Tom, Jordan and Myrtle, and I have my choices. I think Ryan Gosling would be perfect for Tom, Natalie Portman for Jordan and Scarlett Johansson for Mrytle (if you want to go with big name actresses).

What do you think? Who would you cast? Are you as excited as me?????

We still have to wait over two years for the movie, so how about the trailer from R and J to remind you of how brilliant Lurhmann is?

10 comments:

Kristan said...

I am probably not AS excited, but anything with Leo rocks, and I did love Romeo + Juliet, so I have high hopes and expectations. I also think Carey Mulligan is about the cutest thing ever, and she was wonderful in An Education.

Meredith said...

So excited! Love Leo and Baz and Carey, so this move is going to be amazing!

Matthew Rush said...

I used to hate Leo, but I must admit he's been growing on me with every film he's in lately.

Yat-Yee said...

SO far the cast seems perfect. (Although I wonder if Carey didn't sport her pixie hairdo, she would still be cast. Not saying anything about her acting ability, just about how she even physically looks like a young Mia Farrow from afar.)

And yes, Leo and Claire: two of the most talented and intelligent young actors out there. Beautiful as well.

Kelley Vitollo said...

Exciting! And I forgot how much I love that Romeo and Juliet! I haven't seen it in years. I think I'm going to buy it.

Amanda Sablan said...

Dicaprio as Gatsby should definitely be awesome! Shame we have to wait so long to see it...

Cynthia Watson said...

I, too, love The Great Gatsby, and am thrilled with the choice of Leo, but agree with you about Robert Redford - I think he's the most beautiful man who ever graced the big screen!

I'm also thrilled with the choice of Carrie Mulligan - she's as cute as a bug, as well as a brilliant actress!

Can't wait!

Cynthia Watson said...

Rachele, I just have to tell you something funny - after I left my previous comment, I went outside to drive my daughter to the bus stop. My neighbor was outside, and I shouted at her, "Hi Daisy!" Her name is Crystal.

Rachele Alpine said...

Cynthia...

You have Gatsby on the brain! And I agree....Robert Redford is amazing and very yummy to look at!

Krispy said...

I was excited to hear this, but mostly because I kind of love Baz. My friends and I were obsessed with his genius for a while in high school because we loved Moulin Rouge so much. (I still love Moulin Rouge so. much. Plus, it introduced me to the amazing Ewan McGregor.) Can't wait to see a Baz spin on Gatsby. :)