Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Getting Angry

You know how when you read a book the last page is usually only about half a page? Or the book ends on the left side of the page?

Well, I just finished a book where the last sentences were at the bottom of the right hand page.

I was reading and reading and turned the page and found out THE BOOK WAS OVER!

Really? That's how you want to play this game?

I don't see anything cool about giving me no warning that the book is ending.

Shame on you, book publishers!

I don't know about you, but I slow down when a book is almost done and I almost always savor the last few sentences.

I have to admit that I was fuming when I turned the page and saw that there weren't any more words. Grrrrr!

What about you? What has been getting you angry lately?

7 comments:

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Ooo, that would drive me crazy too, because I totally would be expecting a little bit more. I wonder if they did it to save paper. Can't they be environmentally conscious in a less annoying way??? :)

Emily White said...

I slow down at the end too! Yes, I would be pretty peeved if that happened to me. Actually, I *have* been peeved when that happened to me. Grrr...just thinking about it!

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss rachele! sorry it got you sooo angry. i read slow on that last chapter and sometimes do it again before i read the last couple pages. but i didnt ever get angry for where the words stopped. now im gonna think about it and next time im gonna get mad. ha ha.
...smiles and hugs from lenny

Matthew Rush said...

OMG you're too funny.

Were there really no contextual clues that it was about to end? That would probably tick me off.

Lisa Nowak said...

This is something I think about when I'm printing and binding manuscripts for my beta readers. If the last line comes out at the bottom of the page I go back and adjust the formatting so it doesn't. I didn't realize it was annoying to other people, too. :)

Paige Garrison said...

I hate that too! At least tack on an epilogue or an extra paragraph or just triple quadruple space! Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever read a book where this has happened before. Care to share what book it is?

As far as anger goes, school makes me angry all the time! But then, it is school and I always survive!

Naomi Ruth said...

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen that before. So weird. I think I would find that upsetting as well.