Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Listen Up

I've gone on and on about how much I love the Kenyon Review Writers Workshop. I attended for the second year this past summer and may have (shhhh!) planned my wedding for late July, so I can attend again this year.

The week is full of writing and producing new work in an environment of writers. We work in small groups with a published writer and it's required of all of us to share something we wrote in front of everyone in an open mic type setting.

The first year I was the last participant to present. This summer I was the first! I was nervous, but I liked going first because I could enjoy everyone else after.

The recordings are posted and you can listen to my piece "Red Rover." It's the very first one on the Tuesday, June 22 Participant Reading.

There are some other great readings on each of the nights including an amazing piece by my mentor for that week, Ron Carlson. It's from his new book and worth listening to. The instructors read on Monday, June 21.

If you have a minute, download the readings and let me know what you think!

Addition to orginal blog...The prompt I read was to create a story with 26 lines. We had to start with "A" and go through the alphabet in order. If you listen close, you can hear it!

4 comments:

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss rachele! wow it sounds like you did sooo much at that writers workshop. i went and listened to you read and it was a cool story. i love swimming so it caught me up real fast. now i could want to know it that guy got drowned or what happened to him.
...hugs from lenny

Kristan said...

Haha, all this time I thought your name was pronounced "Rah-CHELLE." Now I know!

Anyhoot, wow, Rachele, fantastic piece! Really powerful. I loved the images, and the juxtaposition of the cheery childhood memory with the present day scare.

Lisa Nowak said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad I'm too broke to do it. :)

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

Wow. First. That's pretty amazing. My second year they put me third overall ... it was so thrilling to get it out of the way though!

Maybe (hopefully) I'll see you there this summer. I think it's priceless that you've planned your wedding around KRWW :) ... then again my father changed his wedding date w/o prompting when he found out when the workshop dates were a few years ago ... although that story ends happily b/c they broke off the engagement AND I went to KRWW :)