Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reading Over And Over Again

Today I started reading The Crucible with my students. This is the eighth year I've taught the play. I teach at least five sections of tenth grade a year. If we multiple that with my years teaching, I've already read the play thirty-five times. Not the mention the times I've read it as a theatre minor or high school student.

That's a lot of reading, but I always look forward to it. I love the characters in the play. Abigail is so mean and so vicious, you cannot help but be drawn to a character like her. I like the power these teenage girls had and the idea that they could basically control a town.

The books I teach are definitely my most read books. However, there are also books I own that I go back to year after year. I usually need about a year time in between, but I never fail to fall in love with them again and find something new in each reading.

Some of the books that I revisit are:

The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)

Looking for Alaska (Green)

Prep (Sittenfeld)

The Man of My Dreams (Sittenfeld)

The God of Animals (Kyle)

The Secret Garden (Burnett)

Speak (Anderson)

Charlotte's Web (White)

Middlesex (Euginides)

White Oleander (Fitch)

Coming back to these books are like visiting an old friend. I look forward to rereading them just as I look forward to starting The Crucible again with my students.

What about you? What is the book(s) that you can read over and over again?

14 comments:

Sandy Shin said...

I have a handful of books I read over and over again, but currently, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE is on the top of the list. :)

Melissa said...

My all-time favorite book is A Wrinkle in Time. I read it for the first time when I was in middle school. I revisit it every few years.

Rachele Alpine said...

Melissa...have you read WHEN YOU REACH ME? It won the Newbury a year or two ago and was inspired by A WRIKLE IN TIME. It's an awesome book!

Lisa Nowak said...

One of my favorites is Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones.It's such a sweet story of love and devotion. I also like The Changeling by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, a wonderfully bittersweet tale of friendship and growing up.

Melissa Gill said...

All of the Little House on the Prarie books, All of the Harry Potter books, and many, many others. I wish there were more time, there are so many books I haven't read and so many I want to read again.

Matthew Rush said...

I've read The Lord of the Rings trilogy many times. Probably not 35, but possibly 20. It's not for everyone though.

I do like to re-read some of the classics, but because of time can only do it once or twice. A couple that I have re-read are:

The Grapes of Wrath
The Sound and the Fury
A Tale of Two Cities
Crime and Punishment
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Catcher in the Rye

and probably others, but those are all that come to mind.

Thanks Rachele, fun post!

Okie said...

Sadly my TBR pile is so big that I have a hard time justifying re-reads.

Generally when I do re-read though, it is with some of the Classics.

I can almost always be convinced to pick up and re-read any Shakespeare play. I've probably read both Hamlet and Twelfth Night a dozen times "just for fun".

In the past couple of years I re-read Scarlet Letter and Huck Finn as well.

Mostly I stick with new reads, but if an old read pops into my mind enough times, I'll usually pick it up and either thumb through it or actually re-read the whole thing.


I still have the eventual goal to teach High School English and I actually look forward to getting to dive into the same books year after year and gain new insights as well as learn from the new perspectives of students.

Paige Garrison said...

I reread Ella Enchanted at least once a year and I always try and reread a Harry Potter. Sometimes it's a lot easier to pick up books you've already read then trying to find a new one because I always have too many books I want to read and not enough time in the year, so reading something old has a lot less pressure.

Krista Ashe said...

I miss getting to teach To Kill A Mockingbird. It's one of those books that each time you reread, you find some masterful gem.

It's the first time in 3yrs I won't be teaching R and J, Tuesdays with Morrie, and Night. I know I'll like some of the Brit Lit curriculum....some of it like Beowulf...blech, lol.

I really want to reread the HP series soon. There's just so many great To Be Read books!

Chris Campbell said...

I've read Agatha Christie's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE with my eighth graders (4 sections a year, 8 years) 32 times. And I still love it.

Kristan said...

Anne of Green Gables is probably #1! The Hunger Games series makes the list now. And then (not books you could teach your students) Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts and Monsoon by Wilbur Smith. Both impulse airport buys, and surprisingly great reads. Characters you fall in love with. Action and adventure and tension and magic. :)

I love a lot of the books on your list, though, including Crucible, Great Gatsby, TKAM, Secret Garden, and Charlotte's Web.

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss rachele! wow we got a houseload of books that got read from when all of us were little til now. mom used to read them to us when we were little. new we could read then by our self. the ones i read again so far is huckleberry finn
a tale of two cities
my dog skip
rascal
the duppy
aesops fables

thats all i could think of right now. i hope youre having a real fun weekend.
...smiles and hugs from lenny

Sam said...

Harry Potter, Hunger Games, City of Bones trilogy, Wrinkle In Time, Little Princess, Jacky Faber . . . The list never seems to end!

Lindsay said...

Oh my! Fun question. About every couple of years, I drag out my old wrinkled copy of Where the Red Fern Grows as well as The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I love them both. Anne of Green Gables is up there too:-)