Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What Teenage Boys Talk About In The Hallway....

Today was the sixth day of the school year (wow, it feels longer than that!). I had my students pick independent reading books from the library the second day. They could pick anything they wanted, although I admit I may have talked up a few books that I knew would keep their interest (The Hunger Games, Some Girls Are, Break and 13 Reasons Why).

Today I was listening to three of my male students talk. We were walking to the computer lab and I was behind them. The conversation went something like this between the boys:

"Man, I wish Miss Alpine had given us more time to read."

"I know, I can't wait to find out what happens in the book."

"Did you get to the part yet where Clay listens to his side of the tape?"

"No, I keep wanting to peek ahead."

"Me too! I wonder what he did to get on the tape?"

"It has to be something bad."

"I know, I need to find out."

I couldn't believe it! For real!?! Teenage boys wanting more reading time and talking about books?!

I LOVED IT!

Yay to a great start of the school year! Go YA literature!

14 comments:

Kristan said...

Woot woot!! I don't think I've EVER heard a teenage boy sound excited about reading a book... My guy friends were all into basketball. And grades, lol. (Yeah, we were nerds.)

Rachele Alpine said...

I was cracking up listening to them...and they were football places! I think it may not have been real....maybe I dreamed it!

Rachele Alpine said...

Whoops! I mean "football players!"

Caitlin said...

Yay, there's hope for boys in YA yet! That's so cute, I hope their enthusiasm doesn't wane with age! :D

Lenny said...

hi miss rachele! maybe they were saying all that cause they knew you were walking behind them. ha ha. but mostly if its a really good book i bet they were talking for real and you did just have a dream. :)
...smiles from lenny

Lisa Nowak said...

Oh man! I want to hear kids talking like that about my books!

apalfrey said...

lol see, it's funny for me cause my 15 yr old son has always been an avid reader. I even had one teacher during our interview comment, "The only complaint I have about Niko and it sounds kind of silly, but he reads all of the time!"
If a book interests him, he will read it all the way through in one sitting. And he reads fast too! a whole book in under 6 hrs normally with total comprehension! My 12 yr old son on the other hand is your typical boy, it's like pulling teeth to get him to read! ugh!
:)

Jen said...

That's amazing Rachele!!! How great it must feel and rewarding that YOU were the one that gave them that much excitement around reading!!!

It always makes me happy to know that some kids DO enjoy reading and aren't spending all their time playing video games!

Christina Lee said...

Now THAT is SO for the WIN!!!!!!! woo-hoo. They didn't also say--"that Ms. Alpine ,she is HAWT!" Just kidding! ;--)

Meredith said...

That's so cool! There are definitely a lot of great YA books out there--so awesome that you get to recommend them to your students!

Melissa Gill said...

Very Cool! I thought for sure you were going to end by saying, you woke up from a dream. That's awesome though.

Tere Kirkland said...

How awesome that you overheard that!

I so thought the boys were going to be talking about THG, not 13RW! Hilarious!

Okie said...

Woo-hoo. That's awesome.

My kids are all readers but my oldest is only 10. Still, he loves plowing through books. I've tried to engage him in conversations about him and sometimes he's excited to talk about them, other times he's not sure what to say.

What's been fun is that he's having me read Percy Jackson book 4 to he and his siblings at bedtime and he gets so excited as we come to some of his favorite scenes and he tries to rev up his brother and sister with "listen, listen...this next part is so cool"

I hope my kids keep their passion for reading as they get older. So far so good. :)

Laura Lofgreen said...

I have a 10-year old son who digs reading. We're fighting over who gets to read Mockingjay first. Love your blog and congrats on your agent. Can't wait to hear who picks up your book.