Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summer Reads

It seems like FOREVER since I've updated my reading list, but I've read some great books in the last month so I want to share.

Book Number 23:
Incarceron (Fisher) 448 pages

I read this book for my YA author book club, and I admit that I probably wouldn't have picked it up otherwise. I'm not a big fantasy reader, but the book did keep my attention and kept us talking for a long time at book club.

Book Number 24:
Looking for Alaska (Green) 256 pages

It's no mystery that I love this book, and I think I talked earlier about rereading it. I could gush forever about it, but you already know my feelings, so I'll spare you!

Book Number 25:
Unaccustomed Earth (Lahiri) 352 pages

Jhumpa Lahiri is one of my favorite authors. I've read her other works and got to hear her speak this Spring. I hadn't read her latest collection of short stories, and I fell in love with each of them. I feel like we have a similar writing style and her work is good to read when I'm working on my own.

Book Number 26:
Deception (Nichols) 336 pages

This is our August book club book (we'll be meeting on Sunday at Crocker...come join us!). It's a ghost story and I really found myself getting into it. I liked the narrator, Emma's, voice. She's very snarky but enduring at the same time. There's a sequel and Nichols ends it in a way that you must pick up the next book!

Book Number 27:
Delirium (Oliver) 320 pages

I think you heard my fan girls shouts for miles when I got this book. I loved loved loved! It's totally different from Before I Fall, but amazing in its own way.

I'm not going to count these last two in my list of books, although they are complete novels and WILL be published someday soon. I beta read two books. First, the amazing Emilia Plater, whose YA book Autochromatic is novel represented by Suzie Townsend and agent buddy Lisa Nowak's book Driven. Both books were awesome and you're going to wish that you got to read them too!

What about you? What have you been reading???

4 comments:

Kristan said...

Oh, I ADORE Jhumpa Lahiri! Ditto thinking her style is similar to mine (or what mine could be if I were a zillion times better, lol).

Anyway, I'm reading SLEEPLESS by Cyn Balog, A THREAD OF SKY by Deanna Fei, and THE BOOK THIEF (still) by Markus Zusak. Plus a few chapters here and there of my friends' mss. Plus short stories online. Plus... yeah. o_O

Matthew Rush said...

Just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire, which was good but did not quite live up to the hype, and now am reading The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1 which is a MG/YA Fantasy and is pretty good so far.

Thanks for sharing Rachele!

Meredith said...

So jealous that you get to read Delirium! I'm taking a very brief break from YA and reading Eat, Pray, Love, which is beautiful. Can't wait for the movie!

Medeia Sharif said...

I loved Looking for Alaska.

I just finished Holly Schindler's A Blue So Dark and Marjetta Geerling's Fancy White Trash.