Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Kuddos To Women Writers

NPR posted a great article today by Linda Holmes in support of women writers. It's worth reading; she presents some warranted arguments and thoughts.

I've long been a fan of women writers. Jodi Picoult (who is mentioned in the article) is one of my favorites, and I've read all her books (and reread many of them). Holmes talks about women who write well and how their books are often passed off as "chick lit." She talks about a type of bias in the literary world for certain writers and how these books are often overlooked.

Take a look at this article and then tell me who some of your favorite women writers are. One of my all time favorite women writers who may have been put into the category of chick lit is Melissa Banks. If you haven't read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing, you must. It's AWESOME!

3 comments:

Kristan said...

Great article, I already commented on it earlier today, hahaha.

Some of my favorite women writers:
- Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Suzanne Collins
- Nora Roberts
- Jodi Picoult
- Jhumpa Lahiri
- Amy Tan

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind first... :)

Lenny said...

i dont have much lady writers that i know. i didnt know that just cause someone is a lady writer their stuff could be not taken for being good writing or just chik lit stuff. thats pretty sad for sure. do you think some ladies use a guys name because of that? i wouldnt like that so much.

Elana Johnson said...

I've heard mention of this article several times, and I need to carve out the time to read it. I can't get to it now, because the firewall at work won't let me. But I'm on it!