Monday, August 9, 2010

California Dreaming

Sorry I have been MIA for a few days. How is that I'm able to keep up with blogging on vacation, but once I get home I fall off the face of the earth! This has just been a busy crazy week.

Thanks for all the engagement congrats! We're both pretty excited, although all the planning is already making my head spin. Phew! I just need to make sure that I find time to keep writing while planning a wedding!

Getting engaged wasn't the only thing that I did in California. It was a great trip! Do you want to see some pictures?!

We started in Sonoma where we stayed for a night in the Jack London Lodge. This was a last minute decision, and I was a little bit weary of the place, but I feel in love with the town and area. How can you not like a town named after a great author? We even visited the Jack London Tavern and hung out under pictures of Jack London all over the walls.


We visited wineries in Sonoma including Black Stone and Mayo Family Winery.

We headed to Napa the next day and the scenery was absolutely gorgeous. I never knew it was so beautiful there!



We went to a bunch of wineries in Napa (Flora, Cakebread, Merryvale, Peju) and ate some amazing meals (Bottega and Bouchon). One of the meals came with a sparkly diamond! Ladies, if you're looking for something nice for your ring finger...Bottega serves it up! My main squeeze proposed to me there (in front of all the people eating!) and then we did a toast with Michael Chiarello.

After Napa, we headed to San Francisco for the weekend. We met some friends in Haight Ashbury (where the hippy movement started) and I had one of the best breakfasts in the world at The Pork Store Cafe. Seriously, if you're visiting San Fran, you have to eat here!


My cousin recommended Muir Woods, which was well worth it. We boarded a tour bus and took a terrifying (like tilting on curves and drops right down the mountain) ride to the National Forest.


Muir Woods is full of huge redwoods that have been around for thousands of years. It was an amazing place. And as you can see...we took a ton of pictures!





Our tour of Muir Woods also stopped in Sausalito, which is a hillside boat town near San Fran. It reminded me a bit of Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket with the boats and shops. My main squeeze and I joked that they only take you there after the ride down from Muir Woods so you can get car sick outside of their van.


We made the regular touristy stops in San Fran, including Fisherman's Wharf. We started the day off there at the Buena Vista where we got Irish Coffee (which warms you up all over!).


I had to try some seafood from Fisherman's Wharf, so I bought calamari. And not the fried stuff. My main squeeze thought it was gross, but I really liked it.


We decided not to go to Alcatraz b/c my MS had already been there, but we could see if from the docks.


Of course, we saw the sea lions! I loved them!



I begged my MS to go the Imagiknits, a HUGE knitting store. I was in heaven!


The trip was great....we relaxed a bit in Napa and hit the city of San Fran like tourists, running all over. Oh, and I came back with something glorious on my ring finger!

5 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Congratulations on your engagement! Somehow I missed that while I was on vacation and (mostly) unplugged from the blogging world!

Beautiful pictures! But probably not as pretty as the ring on your finger!

Christina Lee said...

AWESOME! I love the H-A area in San Fran! Jealous that you went to Napa--I have got to get there!

oh, and congrats again!

Lenny said...

hi miss rachele! im glad you had so much fun. the pictures are cool. now i feel like i went with you from seeing the pictures and what you said. wow those sea lions are cool. id like to play with them.
...smiles from lenny

Okie said...

Sounds (and looks) like a super fun trip

Meredith said...

Yay for sea lions! That looks like such a fun trip!