Monday, July 12, 2010

Rereading And Recommending Books

This weekend the little airport near us had an air show. It was close enough to walk to, so my main squeeze and I packed a cooler, grabbed some chairs and spent a few hours at it.

They had a lot of old way jets like the one behind me...



And planes were taking off every ten minutes or so (like this big one, which was LOUD)...


Anytime we go anywhere that might possibly involve sitting around, I make sure to pack heat (aka...a book).

I made my main squeeze take a picture of me with my latest read
Looking for Alaska.

It's been two summers since I've read the book, and I've put enough distance between it that there are surprises and parts I don't remember. I'm almost done with it and have been falling in love with it all over again.

One of the first things that made me fall for my main squeeze was when within our first month of dating, I mentioned how much I love Longfellow's poem "A Psalm of Life" and The Great Gatsby. He promptly got both and read them.

He's read a lot of other books I've recommended (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Kite Runner, Cather in the Rye...), and after bugging him for years, he finally read Looking for Alaska. It looks like the book is getting a lot of use around our condo!


What about you? What books do you read over and over again? What books do you push on other people to read?

5 comments:

Girlinbetween said...

The Book Thief! I absolutely love it.

Rachele Alpine said...

I have to read The Book Thief. I haven't read it yet and everyone keeps telling me how good it is. I'm doing a YA unit this year with my 10th graders and it's one of the books on this list. The librarian who is also working with my students has read it, but I will have to try to pick it up before the end of the summer.

Nomes (inkcrush) said...

I recommend The Hunger Games to all my non-bookish friends :) And people have loved it (well, who wouldn't really?)

And Jellicoe Road to anyone who loves reading - such an amazing book - but not so accessible to non-reader type people (from the chaotic, literary first chapters).

and I always love to rave on about jaclyn Moriarty - in particular, The Year of Secret Assignments! Soooo freaking funny and just awesome awesome awesome :)

Christina Lee said...

First, you are cute as a button, and second, what a CATCH your main squeeze is!

Okay you read The Book Thief (it IS good) and I'll read Looking For Alaska! Deal?

Charlie said...

You have great taste in books, I love those as well. Some of my other favourites are Ghost Medicine by Andrew Smith, The Summer Fletcher Greel Loved Me by Suzanne Kingsbury, Learning To Swim by Ann Turner, and anything by Adam Rapp. I also loved The Center of the World by Andreas Steinhofel, but I've yet to re-read it :)