Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Delirious For Delirium

Yeah, yeah, my blog is really late today. Partially because I've been sucking up, feverishly reading Delirium.

I just finished it about ten minutes ago, and I waited to post because I sat for about eight of those minutes just silently thinking about the ending.

Wow.

The end will blow you away.

Now, I don't want to say a lot about it, because I feel privileged to get a copy of it and I don't want to ruin anything. Perhaps when we get closer to the review date, I'll speak a few more words on it but for now, here are my first thoughts.

But...let me say that I think you'll be immensely satisfied as a follow up book to Before I Fall. It's a lot different from Before I Fall. If you're looking for a book similar to that, this isn't, but it's incredible in it's own way.

I would say that I loved it, but you see...in the main character Lena's world, you're not allowed to love or you'll be killed.

I had heard it was loosely based on Romeo and Juliet and I could see a lot of similarities, but none of them were in your face obvious so it felt like you were reading a re-telling of the play. I teach R and J with my 9th graders, and I think this would be a great book to pair with it. In fact, I may look into doing that with my second semester students!

How about three words to describe the book? Three words that might not make sense to you, and will keep you waiting until February 2011.

I'm mean, right!?!

Okay, so here's my review. I would say that Delirium is...
  • Terrifying
  • Beautiful
  • Gray
You have one more day to enter my contest. I'll be picking a winner tomorrow night!!! Spread the word to get more entries, just let me know through the commentor or form on the site.

7 comments:

Mina Carlisle said...

Now I'm excited because that concept sounds really interesting and different from other Romeo and Juliet type stories!

I'm glad it was good and that you were blown away by it!

Nomes (inkcrush) said...

I love those books that have you stunned and speechless and in a trance when you finish. that's what reading is all about :)

I'm even more pumped for it now! february feels like a long way away.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

woah, intense. I'm really excited now. I need to read Before I Fall. I bought it, but need to get to it...so I'm covered for a little while. haha

-Lauren

reberto.alberto said...

Hi there!

Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

“Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

Happy writing!

Karla Calalang said...

I really want to read the book now! It seems really good!

Also, I totally forgot to let you know about the blog award I gave you! It was from ages ago. So sorry it took forever to let you know about it!

http://karlaerikacal.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-blog-award.html

Okie said...

I really need to check out this book, it keeps getting more and more great buzz. :)

bclement412 said...

You sound like such a fun teacher :)