Friday, July 9, 2010

Best Writing Advice Of The Week

How is your Internet Free mornings going? Have you been able to try it? Keep up? I've been pretty good at it, I put off going to the Internet most mornings and I've liked the work that I've been getting done. There have been a few mornings that I cheat, but those are usually the mornings when I'm rushing already and don't have time to sit down and write (shoot! I almost erased this last sentence, but thought I should share my excuses with you. Yes, yes, I know I could make time if I want to).

I have some more good advice for you today from the great Ron Carlson.

He talked about the idea of procrastination. We all find ways to procrastinate. This summer my techniques seem to be doing morning chores, straightening things up, getting food or a snack, driving to Starbucks to write instead of staying at home. Ron said his main way of procrastinating is getting more coffee. He'll run out or it will get cold and he'll feel like he must go and get more.

This, he told us, is the moment when you push ahead. Instead of using one of these devices of procrastination, you need to stay in your seat twenty more minutes and write.

The times when you get up to do something are often when you're stuck with your writing and instead of trying to solve the problem, you walk away. Ron said does some of his best writing during these twenty minutes when he makes himself stay in the seat and write. You can still do the thing that you wanted to procrastinate with, but first, you must write.

I am the queen of procrastination, so I thought that this would be a hard change to try. However, I love it. I've found myself discovering things in my writing that I never would have if I got up from the table. I have also often continued to write past the twenty minutes because I am so excited about an idea.

Similar to the 20 minutes Internet free in the morning, this tip seems so simple. I think you'll see that if you force yourself to write instead of procrastinate, you'll surprise yourself with what you discover.

What do you think? Are you going to try it? Let me know your thoughts and if you take the challenge!

6 comments:

Emilia Plater said...

This is such a great idea! Walking around and clearing your head is so much better than delving into that brain-melting Internet... BUT staying in your seat and writing is the best option of all! Cool post :)

Christina Lee said...

Ugghh I have failed miserably. But here's what I have done: turn away from blogs, FB and Twitter, set the timer for 1 hour and type away--works for me!

Girlinbetween said...

procrastination has to be my Achilles heel.

Great post!

Kristan said...

I'm not doing the Internet Free mornings, but I am doing the Less Internet Altogether days. So far they're going well. Sacrificing internet for sleep seems well worth it.

I DEFINITELY need to try this Push Through The Next 20 Min thing, though. Because he's right, it's absolutely when I'm stuck or problem-solving that I feel like walking away.

Thanks for the tips/inspiration!

Lisa Nowak said...

I've got to admit, there are times I procrastinate, but just as frequent are the times I press on. I'll tell myself I'll get some lunch or take a break or run an errand after I finish this next paragraph, scene, etc. That's when I wind up not eating until dinner time or being dragged away from the computer by my husband.

Matthew Rush said...

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? Just kidding.

Great post, thanks Rachele!