Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's Not You...It's Me

This post is going to be brief, as I thought I'd have more time on the computer in Boston than I do.

Boston is awesome...a bit soggy and rainy, but yesterday we were in Salem so it was perfect weather to investigate some witches! Tomorrow the sun is supposed to be out, which will be perfect for our second day venturing into Boston!

The question I'm looking at today is from BClement412...

Have you heard from any pubs that you're on submission with?

We have heard back from a few, and obviously since I haven't announced a publishing deal, it's not the news that I want. However, I still look at it as good news because none of the editors found faults with the book (one editor even wanted to buy it, but he couldn't get his entire acquisition team on board...blah!). They aren't telling me there are problems with plot, characters or something else in the book (which could have resulted in a summer of revising before the next round). The feedback that we're getting back is that the editors just don't feel like it's the right book for them.

I call what I have heard from the editors the "It's not you, it's me syndrome." Have you ever had that happen with an ex main squeeze? It's a line that stinks, stinks, stinks, but if they aren't finding faults in you, that means maybe someone else will love you for who you are! I look at the editors' responses to my book in the same way. It's not the book; it's something that they don't feel, which hopefully someone else will.

My main squeeze and I are shopping for a house right now, and I also think being on submission is a bit like house shopping. We've seen some great books (which I liken the editors' responses to mine...they like my book), but it's just not the right book for them.

My agent and I are still waiting to hear from editors from the first round and my agent sent out another round of submissions right before BEA. Cross your fingers; we may be hearing stuff soon! And if the universe remembers my deal...it should be good news! Ha!

6 comments:

Emilia Plater said...

Just a little more time. The universe better come through :D Go CANARY!

Kristan said...

Good luck!!

Caitlin said...

Best of luck with the editor rounds, Rachele! I believe in you! :D

Kris said...

Sorry your visit to New England has been so...wet. Hope you have a better day today! And good luck with the book -- sounds like it's just a matter of time!

Christina Lee said...

fingers and toes crossed! It was great talking to you the other night! Have a good week!

bclement412 said...

Thanks for answering my question! Good luck with Canary, it's almost there, I can feel it! :D