Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Back from Boston

I'm back from Boston (boo!), and while this blog post might not be about writing, I have some good pictures from my trip. That works, right?

We arrived in Boston to welcome my cousin's third child Ellia. She came at 3:15 and we got in at 5:30...how is that for timing!? We went straight to the hospital where we were one of the first to meet her...


We then headed to my Aunt and Uncle's farm house that is over 300 years old! How crazy is that!? Seriously, I love their house. They restored it and it's a great mix of modern and old. It's on the historical registry and the rooms are painted in colors that were around in the 1700s. It's such a cool house. My cousin (who had baby Ellia) got married about eight years ago in the back yard under a tent...


Complete with a barn across the street where my Aunt boards horses...


I included some pictures because the house is awesome inside too.

This is where I slept. This blog today isn't about writing, but I actually got a lot of writing done in the evenings (over thirty pages). I think it had to do with the atmosphere of the house and the town of Boston where so many amazing old writers came from...Louisa May Alcott, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, and all those other transcendentalist writers I torture my students with!).


Another bedroom upstairs (almost every room has a fire place)...


The family room (it's crazy to think about people using that fire place 300 years ago to stay warm!)...


My bathroom (made modern but with the slanted roof and old construction)...

The narrow staircase upstairs...


My favorite room, the kitchen. I've always wanted a kitchen with a fireplace in it...


We tried to make it to Nantucket, but bad weather was rolling in too fast, so we just went up for a ride in my Uncle's plane instead. My Uncle has been flying for over twenty years. He owns this plane and also partially owns a stunt plane that does spins and dives. He has to wear a parachute in it in case something goes wrong! Yikes! A few years ago he learned to fly a helicopter, landed it in the field behind his house and took family up for rides in it!


The weather might have been bad for flying, but it was perfect atmosphere for Salem. I headed there with my mom and it was pretty cool to see some of the stuff that I've been reading about with my students for years.


I know my students are going to like this picture!


We wondered around an old graveyard that had headstones from the 1600s!






The next two days were spent visiting some of my favorite spots in Boston. I didn't take any pictures of Boston because I'd been there so many times and didn't want to lug around my big camera. We were busy, though. We headed to Cambridge, Boston University (where I stocked up on new college gear!) and Newbury Street where got the most wonderful shoes from Zara...total love!

We got to see lots of family, explore the city and visit some new spots. I would have to say that the trip to Boston was a success!

11 comments:

Emily White said...

Sounds like a great trip! Did you go through the The House of the Seven Gables?

I went to Boston and Salem in high school and we took a tour. It was pretty awesome! Especially the secret staircase.

Kristan said...

Looks like a fabulous trip! Congrats on the new family addition, and all the writing you got done. :)

Pretty Knitty said...

What a great trip, ,and I loved the pictures! Thanks for sharing with us. . .and I can't wait to hear more about the writing you got done, too - yay!

bclement412 said...

Sounds like such a fun trip! And what an adorable baby.

Kris said...

I've totally driven by your aunt's house -- cool to see the inside. It's a beautiful area. Glad you had fun in Boston! I live 30 miles away and don't get there very often. Maybe this summer :(

Sandy Shin said...

It sounds like such a great trip! And congratulations to your cousin. Such a lovely baby. :)

Emilia Plater said...

Cuuuute baby. Awesome trip! It looks like you had a blast. And I bet your students would *not* like that picture... okay, maybe a little. But only in jest. :D

Mina Carlisle said...

What a fun looking trip! I've never been to Boston or Salem, but it looks like a total blast and I will have to add it to my list of place to visit! I'm glad you had such a good time and that house looks awesome!

Medeia Sharif said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I love historical places. I hope to see Boston someday.

Christina Lee said...

OMG love love love the pics of baby (sweet), the farmhouse (awesome) and of Salem (intriguing)!! I think that house should be a setting for one of your books!
(oh and I never gave you my address for the prize I won--will email you!)

Jen said...

Wow what a great trip! I love all the pictures, the barn is incredible!