Friday, May 21, 2010

When In Doubt, Scribble It Out!

I've found proof from my young eight-year-old self that ever one is unsatisfied with their writing once in awhile.

Below is evidence. It's a diary entry I wrote that apparently wasn't up to standards. A diary entry about Coming to America...perhaps I'm dating myself with a movie from the eighties!

So what do you do when you don't like something?

Scribble it out!

Good to see that even as an eight year old I was editing and revising my work!

It's more painful to cut stuff out of my writing now that I'm older, but I'm wondering if a purple pen might make it easier!

8 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

when I'm unhappy with my writing in any way, I am apt to just delete large portions. But I have to be careful. There comes a phase in my editing and revising where I hate EVERYTHING! lol. I try and stay away from my ms at those points.

Ally said...

Loved this - and must agree, but I go one step further: I often rip out sections of the scribbling. My notebooks have many quarter and half pages. I'm not sure why I do it, either. All I can say is, there's something therapeutic about it. =)

Lisa Nowak said...

It must have been something you were very embarrassed about, judging from the way you absolutely obliterated it, scribbling from multiple directions. I'm saying this from personal experience. :) Heaven forbid someone should be able to see one of our mistakes! Whatever would they think?

Medeia Sharif said...

After deleting huge chunks of prose, I never regret it. I get carried away with a first draft, and I need to make necessary cuts while revising.

Bronwyn Scott-McCharen said...

I scribbled just like that in all of my old childhood writing notebooks...hahaha. It was such a self satisfied feeling, scribbling something out like that

Bohemienne said...

Haha, I'm liking the purple a lot better than my red ink for sure! My edits always look like they've been used to dress a gunshot wound...

Sangu said...

That was lovely to see, and I love that it started with 'R Rated movie' that was 'dumb'!

Definitely go for the purple pen!

Christina Lee said...

haha I say break out the purple pen!