Sunday, May 2, 2010

Summer...You're Getting Closer

Fellow YA writer Kristin Otts wrote an amazing Facebook status message this weekend... "SUMMER read write run hike sleep grow SUMMER relax dance sunbathe party barbecue swim SUMMER giggle share whisper shout smile freak out SUMMER!!!"

Uhm...yeah! Yay to summer!

I still have twenty-five more school days until summer break starts (not that I'm counting), but the weather this weekend got me in the mood for the months ahead.

It was warm enough outside that I decided it was time to set up my outside "office."

This is where I'll spend most evenings this summer writing. Pretty glorious, right?

It was a little windy on Friday...

But I was able to get a bit of writing done...

And day dream about day when the sky is blue and the air is warm...
Summer can't come soon enough! I love my teaching job, but I can't wait for a few months of uninterrupted writing.

What about you? What does summer mean to you?

11 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

Summer means I'm jealous of that lovely back porch set up you have. Very nice.

The Alliterative Allomorph said...

Summer means hard work :( all the schools in greece want their books by september so I'm constantly rushing to finalise text book proofs!

Kaitlin Ward said...

Love your deck! I need to get some sort of outdoor setup for this summer, because it's going to be way too hot to stay inside :)

Kristan said...

LOL ditto what Matthew said. We have a porch, but I can't be out there without Riley (or else he'll whine) and our yard isn't fenced in (condos) so I have to leash him, which means he pulls and gets tangled and argh!

(Don't get me wrong, I love being out there with the little stinker. I just wish we had our own yard or he would lie down and chill out in the grass.)

Krista Ashe said...

Love the deck! I actually got mine all set during Spring Break...well, scrubbing down the chairs and tables and all. But I did add a great lounger this year, and so far I've been chillin' out there a lot. Here's to us doing some awesome writing this summer!

Lisa Nowak said...

I envy you your nice weather. We had rain 24 out of 30 days in April here in Oregon, which really makes it tough when you're a landscaper. Today it's pouring again, which means I get to stay home and do some editing, but I'm beginning to feel really anxious about these customers who want their yards done. It's supposed to rain most of the week. I can't wait for the warm weather!

Angie Paxton said...

Summer this year means a new baby! But I'm hoping to get out and enjoy the warmth in the form of long contemplative walks where my muse and I will converse and come up with stellar new ideas. Here's to SUMMER!

P.S. Jealous of your outside office. What a great space!

Emilia Plater said...

Ahhh, I can't wait for summer! I mean, I've been waiting, but really... I can't anymore, haha. That outside office is unbelievably glorious. Evening writing in the summer = heaven. :)

India Drummond said...

Summer means the kiddo will be around more... something that I enjoy, but it also means a lot of my daily routine has to be moved around. I don't mind that much though!

Christina Lee said...

your 24 days is my headache--a whole summer with a five-year-old?
Just kidding! thanks goodness for summer camps and play-dates etc. When I taught I looked forward to the summers too!

Medeia Sharif said...

I'm a teacher, so summer vacation means writing time for me.