Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Thursday Was The Bomb Diggity

Remember the scream hear round the world when I found out that I was going to get to hang out with Jay Asher?

Well, I'm back and the day was awesome!

He was speaking at a school in Canton that has over 1,400 students. That's a lot of students compared to my little school (which has about 600). The amazing thing is that the school picked 13 Reasons Why to be an all school read and EVERYONE had a copy of the book. How cool is that? The kids all read the book before he spoke to them, and you could tell how excited they were to have him speaking at the school.

He gave a longer version of the talk I heard months before at Joseph Beth Book Sellers. He talked about trying to get published and the rejection letters he received (what, what? Jay Asher was rejected! Crazy! ). It's good to know that even amazing writers don't always have the easiest route to getting published. It gives me hope and keeps me optimistic (which is always important when you're trying to work on your second book and need motivation. It's so hard to write sometimes when I get a rejection).

I waited while he signed hundreds of books. Hundreds! Every student was allowed to bring their book and get it signed. He said he signed even more books that morning.



After he finished signing all the books we found a place in Canton to get something to eat. It was an old fashion soda shop complete with three pages of ice-cream dishes and homemade candies. Jay was nice enough to answer a million questions. I found out some cool stuff about his writing, books and all that good stuff:

  • He's working on his new book (yay!), but that was all he would say (boo!)
  • The version of 13 Reasons Why that he subbed and signed with Razorbill with had a different ending. A totally different ending...Hannah lives. Crazy, right? It would have been a totally different read.
  • He's not entirely opposed to writing a sequel to Thirteen Reasons Why, but he felt like the book was over when he finished it.
  • There's a character in 13 Reasons Why that he may bring back in another story. She's in the scene at the coffee shop.

After eating, he signed a bunch of books for me in the parking lot. People probably thought we were nuts, doing some back parking lot dealing with books... gasp!

We then did a photo shoot...

And had some ice-cream...

Jay's a great guy and I'm thankful for the experience. Seriously, how cool was my day!?!

So now I have a stack of books signed by him. Remember how I said I have great prize for the winning idea for my promise to the universe?

I'll send you an autographed copy of Thirteen Reasons Why!

You have until Sunday night to come up with an idea. If you haven't posted yet (or have another idea)...leave a comment!

10 comments:

Mina Carlisle said...

It looks like you had a blast! I'm jealous. I love it with favorite authors turn out to be really awesome, really fun, "we-would-totally-hang-out-every-day-if-we-could" people.

foldingfields said...

That's fantastic! Still haven't managed to read that book yet, but working on it! So brilliant that all the students got a copy.

Matthew Rush said...

Wow, that really does sound like an awesome day, thanks for sharing it with us (sort of) Rachele.

It is uplifting to remember that everyone gets rejected.

Today's guest bloggers are Lisa and Laura Roecker!

Christina Lee said...

Made of AWESOME!!! I haven't read this book yet--do you feel sorry enough to send me a book? NO? so now I have to come up with something. You have to do a vlog karaoking a song, like Celebration. That's all I got!

Kristan said...

Waaahhh, I want a copy! I just keep hearing the most amazing things about this book.

Hmm, did he explain why he got rejections? Or was it just because, hey, we all get rejections?

Lindsay said...

OMG what an awesome giveaway. I can't wait to see who the lucky winners are *bats eyelashes*

Rachele Alpine said...

Kristan...Yes, you must read it! And he did show the rejections and explained a few of them. One editor thought the book was too depressing and couldn't sell it (and wrote him a single spaced two page letter about all the problems...yikes!), another couldn't get the team on board (like me!). He had a few more, which gives me hope to that I just need to find the right publishing house.

Amy Lukavics said...

DUDE I'm so jealous!! Signed books!? Suh-weeeet! Plus you went to a candy shoppe, so you know... ;)

I already told you to eat a mountain of gummy peaches, but I thought of another idea. You should get a pet canary! And name him...Canary. I don't know. I'm lame.

India Drummond said...

Sounds like a fabulous day!

Lisa and Laura said...

Holy crap! Your Thursday was rockin' Rachele! Guess I can forgive you for missing the book club after reading this post...

Hmmm...my idea for your deal with the universe? Your very own Delicious Dish Vlog. Um, you could even talk about your muffin a la Betty White. In fact, Laura and I will totally film it with you. How's that for a deal? (Laura is going to KILL me)