Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Making A Deal With The Universe Contest

My book has been submitted to another round of editors. While I was bummed about the two close but not quite rejections from last week, I'm pretty excited about the possibility of one of these editors (or the ones from the first round who still have my manuscript) picking up my book. The giddy feeling is starting all over again, and I hope we find someone perfect for my book very soon.

YA author Veronica Roth told her blog audience that if her book DIVERGENT found an editor, she would swim in a bathtub full of marshmallows. Well, guess whose book just got picked up in an awesome deal? Yep! You can check out her "swim" on her blog. It's pretty hilarious.

Her promise got me thinking. What would I do if my book got picked up? What crazy promise can I make with the universe?

Here are my ideas so far...
  • Put my old show choir dress on and perform "Turn the Beat Around" (yes, I was like the kids on Glee and was in a show choir!)...this one is wrong, so so wrong, but I'd be willing to do it for a book deal!
  • Eat the atomic wings at Quaker Steak and Lube
  • Hire an ice-cream truck to come to a party for all my friends in celebration

And my cousin's idea:

Promise to sing the Star Spangled Banner at the beginning of something:

  • At the front gates right before cedar point opens
  • At the beginning of the wedding dress sale at Filenes
  • At the local opening of Eclipse, dressed as a vampire
  • First game of little league
  • Morning opening of downtown crossing t-station in Boston (* Which is doable, because I will be in Boston at the end of June)

This is where I need you to come in and help me. Come up with some more promises for me to make. What would you like to see me do if my book gets sold?

Post your ideas under the comment section until Sunday night at midnight. The winner will get a prize sent to them (it's good, but I can't tell you what it is yet! I'll reveal it Friday morning.).

If I make your promise and my book gets sold, I'll also mention you in my acknowledgement. How cool is that!?!

I'll list all of the ideas Monday and we'll vote on the promise I will make. Then, if my book gets sold, I'll record myself doing it so you can all see my deal with the universe!

24 comments:

Corinne O'Flynn said...

Good Luck to you!!! If a video is included in the proof of life, then I vote for your option to "Put my old show choir dress on and perform "Turn the Beat Around"

Kristan said...

Dye your hair in rainbow colors!

Actually I like your ideas a lot already.

Lindsay said...

I would like to see you do the zombie dance from thriller - it always makes me smile and if I had a publishing deal, I think celebrating with 80's music would be the way to go. Wait, what about Video Killed the Radio Star? Another good one to celebrate to. Either way, my idea involves singing and dancing, preferably with a fem-mullet and/or shiny tights a la Pat Benetar !

Cheyanne Young said...

*Crossing my fingers for you to get good news from a publisher!*

Here are some ideas for you:

Hold a sign at a busy intersection that says: Honk, I just got a book deal!

Fill the room you write in from floor to ceiling with balloons


Maybe there's something crazy you can do with your studends?

Kate Hart said...

Oh, please do something awesome at the Eclipse opening. That would be awesome in so many ways.

And please don't eat the atomic wings. My pretty tough BFF ate them at another place and spent the night on the bathroom floor. :(

Shooting Stars Mag said...

oh how fun. I don't know of cool deals you could make...let me see...

go to the park and act out a scene from a favorite movie

announce that you are a writer to strangers

lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

Rachele Alpine said...

Ohh...I like the dance ideas! I could totally rock that! How about Beyonce's "Single Ladies???" Love it!

Kristan...rainbow hair may be fun! Let's hope my book doesn't sign right before Kenyon, though, or people will think I'm nuts!

Kate...yeah, I don't want to be on the bathroom floor...yikes!

jen said...

as one of your friends, i really like the ice cream truck suggestion!!

on a slightly more serious note, i think you should film yourself doing the waste of space dance to will smith's "hitch" ... and post it on YouTube (but only for a week and under a fake name, since you're a teacher and all)

Jess said...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something crazy at the Eclipse opening! I would pay serious money to see that! :)

I also really like the sign-on-the-street-corner idea, and dances to silly songs are always funny.

Or you could go to a public place and have your friends act like you're the world's biggest celebrity and see how many strangers ask for your autograph. Because someday, you will be super famous and those autographs will be worth a fortune.

Amy Lukavics said...

Holy hell... PLEASE DO THAT ECLIPSE THING HOLY GUACAMOLE. That would make my life.

I would also love seeing a video of you consuming a mountain of gummy peaches in less than one minute, but, you know....I'm crazy like that.

Good luck The Amazing Rachele!!!

FantasticFiction said...

dye your hair bright geen (at the tips) and rock out to American Idiot kareoke at your local park! lol

FantasticFiction said...

Oh, I almost forgot, don't forget to bring a tip jar :D Hope you land a deal soon!

Lisa Nowak said...

Whatever you do, videotape it and put it on YouTube so the rest of us can see it. :)

Rachele Alpine said...

Oh, don't worry...it will be recorded and shared with all!

Brooke said...

I thought singing at the front gates before Cedar Point opens was good... then I read the next option and that had me laughing. I think your idea rocks.

Singing at the opening of Eclipse, dressed as a vampire... I see your offer and raise you the Eclipse premiere in Los Angeles. Oh, and I live here and would be happy to put you up for a night or three, and offer my husband's skills as a camera operator... ;>

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

Well this amused me >>>Hold a sign at a busy intersection that says: Honk, I just got a book deal!

But I think anything that involves singing 80s songs in public, in costume, has potential

Then again if you can do Single Ladies well ... at the opening of Eclipse ... in a costume ... that has potential to go viral. :)

India Drummond said...

I liked the above suggestion of dying your hair rainbow colours!

Kara said...

I love the "honk, I just got a book deal" suggestion!

Cheyanne Young said...

I'm adding ideas to my previous comment for an extra entry to win 13 reasons, lol! (And because I'm excited for you!)

- walk into starbucks and buy everyone a coffee, (making a big announcement about it) then of course tell them WHY so they'll remember to buy your book

-Spend an entire day making sure to say your book's title in every sentence you say.

Chris said...

Go to your favorite coffee house (or other public location) and have a friend call your cell. Answer it, and quite loudly, say something like, "Oh. Oprah. You again. Look, I'm thrilled you want me on your show to discuss my book deal next month, but I'll be in Paris, darling, on an extended young adult book tour. Please phone my assistant, Pierre, to see if I have any time available in July. Toodles."

And thirty seconds later, answer another call. "Kristen! Sure I'll make it to your premiere! What? You've placed a demand upon the producers for me to be in Breaking Dawn? Anything for you, dear..."

Etc., etc., etc.

Shelly said...

Go to NYC and stand with the outdoor crowd for the morning shows with a big sign that says "I just got a book deal!"

Kara said...

I finally have my own entry(s)!

Wild and crazy:
Build a life-sized fort composed of ONLY BOOKS and a sleeping bag and spend the night in it. S'mores optional.

Serious:
Donate 1% of your advance to a local library

Kristan said...

Oh, I thought of a couple more!

• Dress up like a canary.
• Make a necklace out of your book cover and wear it around your neck for a day. Or maybe a week. :P

I stole that last one from Kiersten White, although she was kidding and I am not. :P

Lisa Nowak said...

I would have loved to hear that speech about his rejections and struggle to get published.