Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Do You Visit Publisher's Marketplace?

My main squeeze hates going to movies because I always make him show up super early. I have this fear that there will be no seats left and we'll miss the previews. This fear is ridiculous because usually when we arrive, we're the first ones there! But who wants to miss the previews? That's one of my favorite parts of going to the movies. I love to see what's coming up in the future.

Well...my newest addiction is Publisher's Marketplace. It's like the previews, but for books!

I signed up for it when my book went out on submission. You do have to pay for it (twenty dollars a month), but it's well worth it. It's a data base full of all the most important sales information in publishing.

Why it's so awesome?
  • Each day you can sign on and see what new deals are made. It gives you a brief synopsis of the book (usually very brief), who wrote it, who sold it, who bought it and often how much it was bought for.
  • You can track the top agents, editors and publishing houses in specific genres. On any given day you can look to see who is selling the most and who is buying the most.
  • You can stalk editors. It goes back years and you can see everything they have ever bought.
  • You can look for jobs. I'm not looking, but it's cool to see all the publishing type jobs that are out there (things like editors, assistants, book scouts, publicists).
  • Important news about the industry is published each day and you can have it e-mailed to you. The information is delivered by e-mail right before lunch (they call it Publisher's Lunch), so you can read it while you eat!
  • It links you to articles about publishing and books.

I highly recommend checking out this site even if it's just for one month. You pay by the month, so you could always cancel.

If my book gets sold, I'll be listed under deals, so hopefully one day I can share that announcement with you!

Also...don't forget to submit a promise to the universe idea for me. I love the ideas you've already given! You have until Sunday to enter an idea and win a super cool top secret prize (and maybe...hopefully...an acknowledgement when the universe decides to take me up on my promise and my book is bought!). CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT!

10 comments:

Kristan said...

I get the free version, which unfortunately doesn't include those agent stats, but does give you a good "big picture" of the industry happenings.

Cheyanne Young said...

I would love to sign up for that.. and it's soooo tempting! But as money is tight right now, I've promised myself that I'll wait until I get agented to sign up.

And good luck with your submissions.. I'm sure your book will be snatched up in no time!

Matthew Rush said...

I hate bad seats at the movies. If I can't sit in the back in the middle, I go ask the manager for a pass to come back to another showing.

Publisher's lunch does sound addicting. Right now I'm too into Google Analytics, but if I ever get an agent I bet my focus will switch.

Lisa Nowak said...

Money's short for me, too, but I do get the free version. Sounds like you're getting a lot of great info. But I probably don't need one more reason to spend time on the Internet. :)

Rachele Alpine said...

Lisa...I agree about wasting time on it! I only allow myself to check it twice a day (in the morning and at night)...if not, it would suck me in!

Angie Paxton said...

I wasn't sure it would be worth the subscription fee, so I didn't sign up for it. However, it sounds like it is, so maybe I'll make a trip over there later on today. Of course, I already have so many internet time wasters I think one more might KO my current WIP for good.

Talli Roland said...

We have the Bookseller in the UK; I think it's pretty much the same thing. I love it!

Amy Lukavics said...

DUDE I totally love watching the previews before the movie. When I was little, my mom would be running late for the movie and say, "It's okay, we're just missing the previews." JUST THE PREVIEWS?!

Ha. Anyway, I'll probably get PM when I go on sub as well. I can't wait to read your 'sold' announcement! :)

Eileen Wiedbrauk said...

I used to get the free version ... but the free version is so lame!

I'll pay for it when I have a manuscript that's ready to send out to agents. It will then replace Facebook as my internet crack. :)

Okie said...

cool site. thanks for the heads up. :)