Well...my newest addiction is Publisher's Marketplace. It's like the previews, but for books!
I signed up for it when my book went out on submission. You do have to pay for it (twenty dollars a month), but it's well worth it. It's a data base full of all the most important sales information in publishing.
Why it's so awesome?
- Each day you can sign on and see what new deals are made. It gives you a brief synopsis of the book (usually very brief), who wrote it, who sold it, who bought it and often how much it was bought for.
- You can track the top agents, editors and publishing houses in specific genres. On any given day you can look to see who is selling the most and who is buying the most.
- You can stalk editors. It goes back years and you can see everything they have ever bought.
- You can look for jobs. I'm not looking, but it's cool to see all the publishing type jobs that are out there (things like editors, assistants, book scouts, publicists).
- Important news about the industry is published each day and you can have it e-mailed to you. The information is delivered by e-mail right before lunch (they call it Publisher's Lunch), so you can read it while you eat!
- It links you to articles about publishing and books.
I highly recommend checking out this site even if it's just for one month. You pay by the month, so you could always cancel.
If my book gets sold, I'll be listed under deals, so hopefully one day I can share that announcement with you!
Also...don't forget to submit a promise to the universe idea for me. I love the ideas you've already given! You have until Sunday to enter an idea and win a super cool top secret prize (and maybe...hopefully...an acknowledgement when the universe decides to take me up on my promise and my book is bought!). CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT!