Monday, May 31, 2010

Catching My Breath During A Long Weekend

I am so sorry for my blogging absence. I know you all came back repeatedly to my blog looking for my insightful writing musings (ha!), so I'm sorry to have gone away. Okay, maybe you didn't, but I still feel bad about not keeping up.

The end of the year is always an awesome time (summer is so close), but also the busiest of times. I had to finish putting together the school literary magazine (which I'll post about this week), grade mountains of papers (now they are hills) and help catch students up who were freaking out about their grades. The end isn't here yet, but it's much much closer (five and a half days...I can do this!).

Memorial Day weekend was a much needed break. I got to relax and collect myself, so I could make it through the last week and a half.

Most of you know that when I'm not writing I have a dorky habit of knitting (and am obsessed with making scarves). Well, my mom and I went on a road trip to a fiber show Saturday to get some good yarn. Yes, fiber as in yarn, although a lot of people seemed to think we were heading somewhere to become "regular!"

We saw alpacas (how can you not love these animals! They are so cute and funny looking!)...

And I bought the world's biggest knitting needles. Okay, I'm a dork! I admit it...but these things are awesome! I've been wanting them for years, and I finally splurged. I started knitting with them when I got home (my main squeeze things my knitting habit is the funniest thing in the world)....


And finished a scarf the next day! Woo-hoo! How is that for instant gratification?! And it's a great way to numb your mind from crazy work weeks...

I still need to put fringe on the ends, and I can't wear it until the winter, but still...


Saturday night my main squeeze and I went to see The Swell Season. Do you know them? Do you love them?

They pretty much helped me write my whole book. I alternated between listening to them and The National as I wrote. The show was amazing and so were our seats (second row! It says obstructed view, but we don't know why HOB does that, these are some of the best seats in the house and they're usually available because no one wants the obstructed view. Shhhh....don't tell our secret!). There are few shows where I'm entranced by the music the entire show, but this was one of them. I'm already making plans to see them in July when they're in Buffalo.


Sunday I planted some tomatoes, peppers and herbs for our deck. We've been house hunting for about six months now (blah!), so everything I planted was transferable in case we move. It makes the deck feel like a little garden.


We ended the weekend by having our families over for a cookout. Here's my main squeeze (left) and his brother, setting sail on the high seas!

Oh, and in between all these things, I got a bunch of writing done. Yay for long weekends where you can relax and write!

I have lots of posts and writerly things to talk about, so I promise to try to slow down life and be around blogging this week.

What about you? How did you spend your long weekend?

9 comments:

Matthew Rush said...

Wow, knitting with those things looks very difficult!

Welcome back BTW.

Janet Johnson said...

Sounds like a great weekend. Love the knitting needles!

Sangu said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. Knitting looks hard!

Kristan said...

Spent my long weekend in Chicago with Andy and his parents. It was a great time -- Second City is HILARIOUS -- but no writing was done. :(

Oh well, everyone needs a break sometimes, right?

Now I'm happy to dive back in! And happy that you had such a lovely long weekend. :)

apalfrey said...

no long weekend for me. :( ours was the 17th. but I did post a short story for a contest! lol. my kids and hubby say it was good but they have to right? :)
I am glad summer is almost here for you! I'm looking forward as well. No more early mornings for two whole months!!!
And BTW I did come back and check every day cause your blog is sometimes the only sanity in my life! lol and you are very inspiring, thank you very much!
good luck with your hill of papers.
*hugs*

apalfrey said...

oh yeah, and those needles are awesome!

Creepy Query Girl said...

Looks like you had a great weekend! I tried to learn to knit over my christmas vacation. It didn't go well....

Pretty Knitty said...

Nice, Rachel! Why do the non-knitters think we would go to a festival to be "regular"? Harumph! And they call knitters weird. . .

Rachele Alpine said...

kristan...I love Second City. We went to see them two years ago while in Toronto, and it was hilarious. I bet you had a great weekend in Chicago with this weather!

Apalfry...I'm glad you like my blog. You read it to find sanity, I write it to keep sanity.

Knitting is easy everyone, and it's actually really relaxing!