Thursday, April 29, 2010

I've Been Reading

I've read three books in the past three weeks. All of them were a bit different, all of them were good in their own ways.

Book Number Fourteen

How It's Done (Christine Cole Maclean) 336 pages

I found this book randomly at Borders and decided to buy it. It was the only copy on the shelf, and I had never heard of it. I liked it because from the start I knew the narrator was making bad choices, and it reminded me of a horror movie where you wanted to yell at the heroine and tell them not to open the door or go up the stairs. I could see Grace's decisions were destructive, but there was nothing I could do about it but go along for the ride.

Book Number Sixteen

This World We Live In (Susan Beth Pfeffer) 256 pages

I love this series. I finished the first book in less than a day; I couldn't put it down. I was so excited when I found out that Pfeffer was created a series out of it. This book is great because it combines the characters from the first book with those from the second book. I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but otherwise, this was a great read. If you haven't read the series yet, read it! I don't really like disaster stories, but this series grabs you from the start and you can't stop reading.

Book Number Sixteen

The Last Song (Nicholas Sparks) 480 pages

Okay, so maybe I read this book. And maybe I cried at the end. And maybe I plan to see the movie this weekend.

Have you ever looked at Nicholas Sparks? My students and I were curious so we googled him. He's not what I expected. He looks like someone you'd see out clubbing, not someone who writes sappy love stories.

I mean, seriously...this picture below could be the new cast member for Jersey Shore. I wonder if he's good at fist pumping!?

What about you? What are you reading right now? Anything good? Share!

8 comments:

Kristan said...

Yeah Sparks definitely doesn't look like your "typical" author. But then again, do we? ;P

You know, I enjoy his books, but recently he's been spouting what seems like a superiority complex, and that always irks me. Confident humility is far more attractive in my book.

(That said, with media I always understand that quotes can be taken out of context -- or in some cases, completely made up! -- so I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.)

The movie isn't bad. It's no THE NOTEBOOK, but it's not bad.

Kristan said...

Oh, but this is hilarious, no matter what way you slice it: http://www.cracked.com/funny-4725-nicholas-sparks/

(People who don't want spoilers, do not go to that URL!)

FantasticFiction said...

Thses sound like great books. Never read any of them lol. I am currently starting to read the Mirador and wow, it didn't have a gripping beginning as many books don't that I have read, yet I am still plowing through hoping the center will get jucier :)

Falen said...

THAT'S nicholas Sparks?!
Crazy!

Cynthia Watson said...

I'm reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. I just started it, but it's great so far. It's recommended by Jodi Picoult and Sue Monk Kidd, two of my favorite writers, so that's good enough for me!

Diana Wariner said...

Reading ALL THE PRETTY HORSES (man, what I wouldn't give for a few quotation marks) and just finished THE DISREPUTABLE HISTORY OF FRANKIE LANDAU-BANKS (very good--like it makes me want to cry how good).

Amanda Elizabeth said...

Hubba Hubba!

apalfrey said...

Reading the dark elf trilogy about Drizzt Do'Urden by RA Salvatore to my kids. And have the newest Kim Harrison sitting on my shelf waiting.
She has created a very compelling urban Fantasy world. I'll pay hard cover prices for hers. :)