Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm Back And I've Read Some Good Books

Wow...I feel like I've been away forever. Spring Break was perfect and relaxing, but I rejoined the real world again tomorrow when I walked into my classroom and saw all the stacks of paper that did not go on break with me. Oh well....39 days until summer (but who is counting!).

I've gushed about Florida in the past and one of the things I love about it is the ease of the days where we do nothing but sit by the pool and read (and knit!). I finished three incredible books in the last week; each unique and amazing in their own way.

Book Number 10

Breathless (Jessica Warman) 320 pages

This book reminded me so much of one of my favorite books in the world Prep (Curtis Sittenfeld). It's the story of Katie, a swimmer, who is sent to a prep school her sophomore year. The book follows her during the three years she's there. If you've read Prep, you know that Lee is a very passive character. Katie is the opposite. She becomes popular at the school and learns that she needs to hide her past if she wants to continue to stay popular.



Book Number Eleven

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (John Green and David Levithan) 304 pages

While I could gush and gush about this book (and one of the authors!), I'll just tell you to go read it instead. It was great, and as I teacher I can't even begin to tell you how important a book like this is for my students. I know this book will speak to many people.

Book Number Twelve

Before I Fall (Lauren Oliver) 480 pages

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I couldn't get enough of it and flew through it. I love YA authors who have MFA degrees because there is often a craftmanship and lyricism to their writing that I recognize from my work towards an MFA. Oliver's book is amazing, and I've already given it to one of my students who I'm sure will finish it within the week. If you're looking for a good read, pick this one. Seriously, I totally heart this book.

What book are you reading right now???? Share!

3 comments:

Kristan said...

Yay, I really want to read Before I Fall! I read an interview/guest post by Lauren Oliver and loved it.

I just finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and I'm starting The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, as well as Crossing by Andrew Xia Fukuda.

Glad you had a nice vacation! Welcome back!

Matthew Rush said...

Welcome back Rachele, thanks for sharing about your reads, sounds like some very good books!

Looking forward to your guest post this Friday!

The QQQE

Lisa Nowak said...

I just got Will Grayson, Will Grayson from the library. Can't wait to get started!