Tuesday, March 23, 2010

YA Literature As A Savior

Part of the reason I like to write YA literature is because I remember how confusing and hard it was going through those years of my life. I can still close my eyes and vividly connect to how I felt during those times.

Books were my savior during those years. I turned to them to help find answers, escape or to understand that other people were going through a lot of the same things that I was.

Books are so powerful and I believe they can sometimes save a person when nothing else around them can. I write because I want to speak to my readers and let them know that they aren't going through things alone. I want them to see that they're not the only ones going through these emotions and that they can (and will) make it through okay (and usually stronger).

I was paging through my elementary school diary and found an entry from when I was eleven and then when I was twelve. I think the entries below speak volumes for how with all the pressures I see my students going through now, teens today need honest well written literature that they can grab on to when everything else around them is spinning.


6 comments:

Christina Lee said...

wow thanks for sharing-- those are just awesome! And yeah, they WOULD help you relate with your students and your protags, ya know?

Kaitlin Ward said...

aw. My age 11 to 12 diary entries are similar--although not quite so eloquent haha. I agree with this post wholeheartedly.

Lisa Nowak said...

I write YA for the same reasons you do. Books totally saved me when I was a teenager. I needed to see that my reality wasn't the way the whole world was, that I could get out, have a better life. That there was hope.

Tahereh said...

awwwwww what a great post. love the trips down memory lane..

i'd have been lost without literature growing up.

:D

Michelle said...

I cant believe how well you wrote at 10-11. No wonder you are so good now!

Also...reading your diary is even better the second time around!!

Ariel said...

Wow, if that doesn't summarizing the entirety of teen years, I don't know what does. Thank you so much for sharing!