Friday, February 5, 2010

Writing Motivations

There is a huge snow storm that’s expected to hit tonight and continue until tomorrow afternoon. My main squeeze is excited about the fresh snow for cross country skiing, but I’m looking forward to being forced to stay inside because of the weather. We already plan to fight the snow and go to our favorite sushi restaurant (a little eight table place that’s amazing and only a few blocks from the condo), and then I plan to not leave the house until the roads are cleared and all is safe.

I’m looking forward to the storm, because it creates the perfect environment to write. I love sitting at my kitchen table with the windows open so I can watch the snow fall. I love the quiet a good snowfall brings and the warmth I feel inside with a warm cup of tea next to my computer. I hope this weather motivates me to write, because I’m looking forward to putting a dent in my new novel.

However, I have to admit that writing isn’t always easy for me. I always want to do it, I always look forward to doing it, but when it comes to sitting down and actually writing, I procrastinate. Do you ever get that way? Does it ever seem like you have a million things that you should be doing instead of writing? Or do you pretend there is a million different things to not write? I won’t lie, this happens to me sometimes. It’s not writer’s block, perhaps it’s motivation block!

The up side is that when I’m in the mood to write, I can write and write and write. Some of the things (beside a good snowfall and airplane ride) that motivates me to write are:

*Finishing a book I loved

*Getting full/partial requests (when I was querying)

*Hearing from my agent

*Getting feedback from my betas

*Hearing when someone I know signs with an agent or gets a book deal

*Nights where I’m able to stay up late writing and then sleep in (I’m a night owl!)

*School vacations (summer, Christmas, Easter…)

*A really good play list of songs for inspiration

*Being in an environment where there are other writers/readers (a conference, bookstore, library)

*Deadlines (ha!)

What about you? What motivates you to write? Do you have any good ideas to kick my writing butt into gear?!

5 comments:

Lisa Nowak said...

We don't get much snow here in Oregon, but I love to write when it's raining. Other than that, I don't know what specifically motivates me to write. Mostly I just try to take advantage of whatever time I have to do it.

I have the same problem with procrastination, though. I think it's because writing is such an all-consuming, meditative thing. I can't just hover around the edges, I have to feel that I can commit for an extended period without interruption. And I feel guilty whatever I do. If I'm writing I should be doing all the other things on my list, if I'm doing all the other things, I should be writing. :)

Kristan said...

Um, this post? = Me. :P Seriously!

Emilia Joyce Plater said...

The snow's coming for me, too! So excited. I'm also motivated to write when there are no distractions, no one else in the house, & total silence. It's weird, though, because my biggest motivator is definitely music - I just have to listen to it before I start writing. I love getting a surge of emotion from music and then spilling it all over the word doc.
I totally get motivation block. It sucks, but it usually passes... eventually ;)

marion said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Lucy
http://dataentryjob-s.com

Mina Carlisle said...

Music really inspires me to write. I love flipping through my Pandora stations to find new music to inspire me to write. Recent favorites are The Avett Brothers (if you like folksy sounding stuff!), The Mountain Goats, and Neutral Milk Hotel!

And, oddly enough, reading for some of my classes inspires me to write!