Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Submitting and the Single Girl

Okay, so I’ve been on submission for a week now. My manuscript is on the desks of editors and now my life if full of waiting, hoping and wishing.

I’ve thought long and hard about my behavior this last week as I’ve waited for my agent to give me some news, any news, and I know what’s wrong with me. The symptoms are familiar, and I think it’s time I admit that I have the Single Girl Giddiness.

You know the feeling, right? You meet a guy out, you talk, you laugh, you exchange numbers and then…you wait. And wait. And wait. And start to obsess…

Let me compare the two….

The Single Girl Giddiness:

*You check your text messages constantly

*You charge your phone even if you just used it for a minute

*You call yourself from other phones to make sure your phone is still working

*You wake up each morning with a smile thinking today is going to be the day he calls

*You Google his name and try to find out all the information you can about him

*If he’s on Facebook, you look at his pictures

*If he’s on Twitter, you read his tweets

*You talk about him constantly to your friends

*You make up excuses for why he hasn’t called and they are always noble excuses (he’s cleaning his grandma’s house, he’s camping with his little brother’s Boy Scout troop, he’s on some mission trip)

*A week passes, two week passes and you still hold out hope

The Submission Girl Blues:

*You check your e-mails constantly

*You make sure you are always around a computer (even if it means paying extra on your cell phone plan to get the mobile web...not that I did that....okay, maybe I did!)

*You send test e-mails to yourself to make sure it still works

*You wake up each morning with a smile thinking today is going to be the day your agent e-mails with good news

*You Google the agents’ names and try to find out all the information you can about them

*If the agents have a blog, you read it

*If the agent is on Twitter, you read his/her tweets

*You talk about potential agents constantly with your friends

*You make up excuses for why he/she hasn’t gotten back to you about your manuscript yet and they are always noble excuses (they loved it so much they haven’t stopped talking about it enough to contact your agent, they are building a shrine around the amazing find of your book, they are too busy taking out a full page ad in the New York Times to tell the world about the discovery of your book)

*A week passes, and the second week starts and you still have lots of hope

I’m lucky enough to have a glorious super fabulous main squeeze, so I’m done with the single girl blues, but I’m living it all over again as I wait for an editor to “ask me out.”

Also...don't forget about my contest. You have a little less than a week to enter. Any comment, tweet, Facebook/blog mention gets you points! CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT IT!

4 comments:

Kristan said...

Oh, I know all too well how this feels. Both with my St. Martin's full submission, and my queries out to agents. I do my best not to think about it (by working on my new WIP!) but it's hard to keep it from creeping in sometimes, you know? Sigh.

Anabel said...

Rachele,

This post made me laugh so much, ahh the dating days....

I just want to wish you good luck, I hope you hear from your agent soon because I can't wait to read more about your book.

bclement412 said...

This is hilarious and ridiculously spot on!

Krista Ashe said...

Ah, I know this feeling all too well. When I was querying, I had the distinct pleasure of being rejected by the publishing world and male world both in the same week. It really brings meaning to "he's/they're just not into you!"

I'm going on 3months now, although people tell me to take off a month cuz of the holidays, whatever, and it's AWFUL! Wish I could say it gets better, but alas, no! I sleep with my Blackberry....well, yeah, it's my alarm, but in the same token, you know! LOL

Good luck!