Monday, February 15, 2010

Books, Books and One More Book!

Okay, okay, I know I promised you a super duper contest today, but I need one more day to announce it. I have to run to Target and get some last minute goodies for the prize package. I want to make sure I can show you everything, so you know how super awesome this contest is. Can you wait one more day? Please? Pretty please?

In the meantime, I have been slacking on keeping track of the books I’ve finished in 2010. I have three more I need to list.

Book Number Five:

River of Heaven (Lee Martin) 288 pages

I had the honor of working with Lee Martin this past summer at the Kenyon Review Writers Conference. Lee Martin is an amazing writer and his Pulitzer Prize nominated book The Bright Forever is one of my top ten favorite books I’ve ever read. This book followed the same format of simple lyric prose and the desires of individuals to find connection with people. Martin’s writing is just beautiful to me, and I was sad to reach the end of this book.


Book Number Six:

When You Reach Me (Rebecca Stead) 208 pages

Okay, if I could write about this books in all caps (without annoying all my readers!), I would because this book is just that good! Oh my gosh, I loved loved loved it (can you tell that I like this book?). I grew up reading Newbury Award winning books and this book reminded of me of what I used to love so much reading books in fifth and sixth grade. Please read this book and buy it for every middle school reader you know. Okay, I promise this is the last time, but I must tell you one more time how much I love this book.

Book Number Seven:

The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don’t Mind (Kristen Cronn-Mills) 281 pages

Flux is one of the publishing houses with a copy of my manuscript and I had this book in my bookshelf, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to read the book. This is a very voice driven book. Morgan (the main character) is strong but confused, and I really like that dynamic. Cronn-Mills doesn’t sugar coat things and this book reads very authentic to a teenager’s life.

I promise to post my contest tomorrow. In fact, I’m heading out to Target right about …..now!

3 comments:

Kristan said...

This is pretty superficial, but I love all the covers!

I just read HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE and could not recommend them more!

AchingHope said...

These books look really good :D

Lisa Nowak said...

Oh, I loved When You Reach Me!