Monday, January 4, 2010

The Generic Post Where I List My New Year Resolutions....

The new year is off to a great start…I was supposed to go back to work today, but we got a snow day! My students don’t come back until tomorrow, but we had a staff day today. It’s kind of cool to think that there was just a snow day for the teachers!

I’ve taken advantage of the extra day off by getting up early (okay, 8:30, but that’s early for me) and working on a final read through of my novel. I think it’s ready to send back to my agent! I’m really excited about what 2010 may bring for my book and career as a writer!

I’m not one to make a lot of New Year resolutions, because I’m not good at keeping them. However, I think it’s important to set goals, so without further ado, here are my resolutions for 2010:

Write every day.

Now, writing doesn’t have to be just book writing. Writing can be blogging (yay to more blog entries!), journaling with my students or writing down ideas. I have a habit of placing characters in situations I encounter and hear about, and try to see how they get out of them. These might not even be characters from my book, but I like to play around with writing scenes that I may use one day.

Drink more tea, less pop.

I’m addicted to Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Root Beer. In a typical day, I can easily drink four cans of pop. That’s not good, people! I’ve decided to start with baby steps. I’ll still allow myself a morning DMD and an afternoon, DRB, but that’s it. I’m trying to get myself to drink more and more tea, and I’m really starting to like it (maybe it’s just because of the mustache mug!).

Keep track of what I read.

I did this three years ago. I kept a blog where I listed every book I read and my opinions about it. I figure this blog is as good a place to start doing that. I read a lot, and I’d like a record of what exactly I read in one year.

So there we go, my goals for 2010. Pretty manageable, right? I hope so! What about you? What are the goals and resolutions that you have developed for the new year?

3 comments:

Kristan said...

I love knowing what other people are reading! Those sound like good resolutions.

Mine are to get an agent, and to rebuild my savings. "Simple," no? :P

Rachele Alpine said...

Ba ha ha ha....I love your resolutions, Kristan! The agent one is a great goal and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! If your spending is anything like mine, your second resolution may be a bit harder!

Melissa said...

More tea, less pop...that was my resolution for the first 9 years of 2000. It almost worked - until I replaced tea with coffee ;)

But I, too, have the resolution to write more. Every day, I don't care how many words I write, but I need to do it...oh, and I'd love an agent, too! Preferably one who has already requested the full MS haahaha